Alumni Feature of the Week: Marjada Tucker

Contributed Photo

Marjada from her impromptu presentation at the Ron Brown Big Ideas for Big Impact Dinner.

Jilkiah Bryant, Staff Writer

Marjada Tucker graduated from the Mississippi School for Mathematics and Science in 2014, where she received honors and was inducted into the Hall of Fame. As a high school senior, she was offered more than $1,500,000 million in grants, scholarships, and travel aid. Tucker was honored to have been selected as a Gates Millennium Scholars, Ronald H. Brown Scholar, Questbridge National Match Finalist, Philanthropic Education Opportunity Star Student and Tom Joyner Full Ride Finalist.

“It is a remarkable gift and privilege to have had this experience! MSMS was a vital stepping stone in my path to leadership, scholarship, empowerment, and service,” Tucker said.

She is currently a senior at Rice University in Houston, Texas. She is studying biochemistry and cell biology with a minor in Medical Humanities. She plans to go to medical school and become a physician after graduating Rice University in May of 2018.

“MSMS offered me an environment that was conducive to the success of a gifted student! I was introduced to a pool of knowledge that literally changed the trajectory of my life.”

In 2015, Marjada founded the Faith for P.E.A.C.E Learning Foundation. She currently serves as the Executive Director of the Northeast Mississippi Student Leadership Conference (NMSLC) which serves rising 9th – 12th grade students.

“I often find myself thinking about how different my life could be if I had not found those tools and tidbits of wisdom through my MSMS Network.”