5 MSMS students selected as U.S. Presidential Scholar candidates

From left to right, seniors Jackson Williams, Noah Lee, Iris Xue, Geoffrey Melton and Landon Tu pose together after their Differential Equations class. All five were named candidates for the 2024 U.S. Presidential Scholars Program.
Sebastian Harvey

MSMS seniors Geoffrey Melton, Noah Lee, Landon Tu, Jackson Williams and Iris Xue were named U.S. Presidential Scholar Candidates in January and received invitations to apply for the program, which provides distinction to a select group of high school seniors. 

The U.S. Presidential Scholars Program, established by the U.S. Department of Education, recognizes the most distinguished graduating seniors across various areas including academic excellence, leadership qualities and community service. Candidates are selected and ranked based on their ACT or SAT scores. Each year, 20 male and 20 female students from each state are nominated.

Once invited to the program, candidates submit an application in February consisting of three components: essays, self-assessments and transcripts. Selected Presidential Scholars will be awarded a medallion honoring their outstanding academic achievements and contributions to their local communities.

Many of MSMS’s U.S. Presidential Scholar Candidates said they see this program as an opportunity for personal and academic growth.

“It is a really nice way for Mississippians to reach higher-level achievements,” Melton said. “We don’t have as many options here, so [the program is] a good way to try and reach out.”

Williams echoed Melton and said the program provides students with opportunities for new and broader perspectives.

“I want to explore outside of Mississippi and travel outside of the South,” Williams said. “I just want an opportunity to say, ‘Hey, I’m pretty good.’”

I just want an opportunity to say, ‘Hey, I’m pretty good.’

— Jackson Williams

Although Melton, Williams and Xue said they are honored to be nationally recognized, they also said they are anticipating the extensive application process ahead.

“[The application] is really reflective,” Xue said. “Many questions make you consider how your background affects your identity and how you contribute to the world. Around 161 candidates are selected to be U.S. Presidential Scholars, and they are a talented community of people who are passionate about improving this world.”

As each candidate prepares to transition out of high school, Melton said he chose to highlight his unique experience at MSMS within the application.

“I always tried to push myself to take classes I’m not familiar with to diversify my learning,” Melton said. “I also like doing outreach programs where I can share lessons with other schools.”

Counselor Heath Stevens, who informed the candidates of their program invitation, said he is proud of these students for representing MSMS and offered his encouragement as they advance through the application process.

“Only two students per state are honored [as U.S. Presidential Scholars], so having a MSMS student be one of 100 students selected nationwide is spectacular,” Stevens said.