Student Spotlight Shines on Jilkiah Bryant

Dev Jaiswal

Jilkiah Bryant smiles in the hallway outside Hooper 106.

Nique Hairston, Staff Writer

Jilkiah Bryant is a native of Noxubee County where she was raised in Macon, MS. She attended Noxubee County High School before coming to reside at the Mississippi School for Mathematics and Science. Her personal interests include medicine, making new experiences, and helping to better the world around her.

This past year, Bryant began an organization called Project Powerful where she utilized her environment to begin Operation Elderly Appreciation where she donated Christmas cards to the elderly nursing home. “I began Project Powerful because I am inspired to help; I love to think about doing something for the greater good of our world. It’s been rough trying to get this organization off the ground, but I trust the process,” Bryant explained.

Bryant’s greatest desire is to evolve in the medical field and major in biochemistry. “I have many ambitions from becoming an entrepreneur to becoming a public speaker. But my passion is in medicine and helping people: I would love to pursue a career as a doctor,” Bryant said.

“My future is so bright and I can feel the type of the things I will do will help better my community and others in Mississippi. I just have to be patient because ultimate success is in my path; I just have to be patient until I arrive,” Bryant said.

— Jilkiah Bryant

During her free time, she is busy doing homework, studying and binge-watching Netflix.

Bryant explains that she came to MSMS to better her future. “At my old school, I would not nearly be as challenged as I am at MSMS. Coming here, it was a tough decision and it requires a lot of hard work but in the end: it is worth it. I can actually say I’m learning, even when I feel like I’m not. I have teachers who care about my future and who I can turn to when I need help. I really appreciate that,” Bryant stated.

Bryant’s favorite colors are green and black. “I like green and black, but not really together,” Bryant stated. Her favorite food varies from hot wings, to shrimp Alfredo, and apples. She enjoys playing Homescapes on her phone throughout the day.

Bryant mentors at Boys’ and Girls’ Club, volunteers at bible study at St. James Methodist Church in Columbus, MS on Wednesday nights, and is a member of various clubs at MSMS. She is also a state 4H ambassador, and a part of the Ron Brown GPS Scholar Program.