MSMS leading in preparing Mississippi’s youth for high learning

The Mississippi School for Math and Science sign stands in front of Mary Wilson, home to administration at MSMS. MSMS has distinguished itself as a pivotal force in preparing Mississippis youth for higher education and beyond.
The Mississippi School for Math and Science sign stands in front of Mary Wilson, home to administration at MSMS. MSMS has distinguished itself as a pivotal force in preparing Mississippi’s youth for higher education and beyond.
Joe Yang

In Mississippi, where educational challenges and disparities often hinder student success, the Mississippi School for Mathematics and Science merges as a beam of academic excellence. MSMS is recognized by Niche and US News report as one of the top public high schools in the state and nation. MSMS is unique as Mississippi’s only public residential high school for academically gifted students.

With an average ACT score of 27.1 in the spring of 2023, significantly higher than the state average of 17.6, MSMS has distinguished itself as a pivotal force in preparing Mississippi’s youth for higher education and beyond. Founded to serve the state’s brightest minds, MSMS combines a rigorous academic program with a comprehensive residential life experience, fostering intellectual growth, personal independence and resilience. 

The residential community at MSMS creates a supportive and immersive learning environment. It’s not just about sharing academic interests; it’s about growing together, facing challenges and learning from each other.

— Theo Hummer, English teacher

This means students are much better prepared for life after high school because the preparation MSMS provides is so similar to college life. 

Heath Stevens, one of the guidance counselors at MSMS, plays a crucial role in preparing students for their future college endeavors. Stevens said, unlike many high schools across the state, MSMS benefits students by having them prepare for college applications in their late junior year. He also said this allows for personalized guidance, helping students navigate the college application process effectively.

“We start preparing our juniors in spring with seminars that get the students in the mindset of writing a good [college application] essay,” Stevens said. “We also cover topics in our seminars using personality and values to help students find the right college and financial aid for those colleges.”

Junior Theodore Lai said he thinks these seminars will help and it’s a good thing MSMS gets students thinking about their next steps after high school. 

“By starting us early with the same writing prompts common app requires, I think it allows us to get a head start at the application.” Lai said. “It will also take some pressure off of us when we are seniors because we already have a working draft.”

Senior Mariane Powell said coming to MSMS has shaped her ambitions and helped her discover what she really wants to do after high school. 

“Before coming to MSMS, I hadn’t participated in much extracurriculars,” Powell said. “But after coming to MSMS, I was introduced to a plethora of activities that I found myself interested in. Through clubs like Debate, I was able to really discover what I’m truly interested in and develop ambitions.”

The MSMS also houses an environment different from other traditional high schools. 

“The overall environment [at MSMS] motivates you to become more competitive and apply to more colleges. I feel like everyone here has pretty close interests and strives for the best not just for themselves but for others too,” Powell said. 

Theo Hummer, a current English teacher and MSMS alumni, also said that coming to MSMS has impacted where she decided to go after high school. 

“When I was at my old high school, I didn’t really know where I wanted to go for college,” Hummer said. After coming here, I discovered way more opportunities, such as camps and scholarships, just from seminars the school hosted and the community talking about such things.”

Stevens also said the students have grown socially just based on the environment at MSMS. 

“The majority of the growth, I would say, is on the personal level. Many students come to us saying they didn’t have many friends with the same interests as them.” Stevens said. “At MSMS, you’ll have more classmates with the same interests as you, and you will feel more connected and part of the community.”

The residential aspect of MSMS significantly enhances its educational experience, preparing students for college in unique and effective ways. This component is integral to the school’s mission of fostering academic excellence and personal growth.

Stevens emphasizes the role of residential life in developing independence and time-management skills and said the experience of living on campus equips students with the ability to balance academic responsibilities with personal care, mirroring the demands of college life.

“Living on campus forces students to manage their own time and care for themselves, which mirrors the demands of college life,” Stevens said. “Students also learn to reinforce teamwork. At my previous high school, for a group project, some students would just do the entire project themselves. However, at MSMS, students are forced to collaborate with other students to complete assignments because of how well most of our classes are organized.”

Hummer said that the residential life also played a role in shaping her and her interests during her time here.

“The residential community at MSMS creates a supportive and immersive learning environment. It’s not just about sharing academic interests; it’s about growing together, facing challenges and learning from each other,” Hummer said. “This experience instills a level of maturity and independence in students that is invaluable when they transition to college.”

Before coming to MSMS, I hadn’t participated in much extracurriculars. But after coming to MSMS, I was introduced to a plethora of activities that I found myself interested in. Through clubs like Debate, I was able to really discover what I’m truly interested in and develop ambitions.

— Mariane Powell, senior

The unique residential life at MSMS supports academic excellence and fosters a close-knit community among students, which is crucial for their overall development. The communal living situation helps students form deep connections, enhancing their collaborative skills and emotional intelligence. This aspect of MSMS’s program ensures students emerge as well-rounded individuals ready to face the challenges in their lives after high school.

As MSMS continues to evolve, it remains committed to providing Mississippi’s brightest students with the opportunities and guidance needed to reach their full potential. MSMS’s impact is profound and lasting, preparing students not just for college but for a lifetime of learning and achievement.