New Senators Elected

Nique Hairston, Staff Writer

On Thursday night, MSMS held their Senate elections. A senator is a person who represents their class as their voice and listen to everyone’s ideas in order to accomplish and achieve their goals through administration. Two seniors and two juniors from every floor were elected for Senate.

They each gave a speech on why they should be voted as Senate. A few of them have spoken out and discussed why they wanted to run for senate, what changes they will make as senate, and what participating in Senate means to them.

Devin Chen stated that he ran for Senate because he firmly believes in the values set for the students, the mission set before them and ultimately in the experiences in store for them. He says, “ I truly believe this is my opportunity to contribute back to the greater good of this school and this family. Even though I have only been here for about two and a half weeks, I feel as if though I have been here my entire life and giving back feels like the least I can do to try to enrich the school experience for others as this school has enriched mine.” He assures that he will try his utmost  to execute the duties of his position with which he has been entrusted with faithfully by taking opinions and suggestions from his peers and making sure their voices are heard.

Kaelon McNeece said that he ran for Senate because he wants to be able to make an impact for the greater good of all MSMS students. He stated, “I want to be someone that listens to others and steps up to make a change about it, and the senator platform will allow me to do so.” He’s willing to listen to any criticism, complaint or issue students feel should be heard. Kaelon says, “Being senator to me means that I’ll be able to make a difference, a difference that will help everybody out.”

Caleb Robinson ran for Senate because he wanted to give back in the most effective way he possibly could. By him being an MSMS senior, he understands that MSMS experience is so positive that he wants to give back in anyway he can. He says, “The best way to do this was to be directly involved in the decision making process that directly affects the lives of the students here.” His ultimate goal as a senator is to improve the quality of life for Mississippi’s best in any way he can.

The Senators of the 2017-2018 year will be Tate Howard, Brent Styles, Devon Matheny, Kayci Kimmons, Richard Andersen, Advaith Sunil, Lori Feng, Victoria Gong, Alex Monterde, Griffin Stewart, Gabby Kennedy, Kendall Wells, Dev Jaiswal, Hamilton Wan, Lilian Le, Taniya Bland, Caleb Robinson, Carey Williams, AK Mynatt, Maggie Rennie, Devin Chen, Kaelon McNeece, Sarah Perry, Liz Huynh, Keely Brewer, Meagan Pittman, Indu Nandula and Mildred Perude.