Teacher Spotlight: Mrs. Tina Wagner

Wrishija Roy, Assistant News Editor

Mrs. Tina Wagner was first introduced to MSMS in 2007 when her then-8th grade daughter Meghan completed all the math courses at her school and was in need of more advanced classes.

The Michigan family had relocated to Mississippi and Meghan enrolled at MSMS in 2010, making Mrs. Wagner an active member of the MSMS family. Following her daughter’s graduation, Mrs. Wagner accepted a faculty position at MSMS in 2013. She has been a beloved member of the family for four years, teaching AP Biology, Cell Biology and Plant Physiology classes.

Mrs. Wagner and her husband will be relocating to Minnesota in the coming week. Ms. Margarita Baquero will teach Wagner’s classes beginning Oct. 21.

Wagner attended Purdue University as an undergraduate where she initially wanted to become a veterinarian. She realized, however, that she “didn’t have a stomach for working with ‘all creatures big and small.’”

She realized her true passion after taking a biochemistry course and completing a work study in tissue culture, and she decided to pursue wildlife science, receiving a Bachelor of Science in Natural Resources/Environmental Science and Plant Physiology. She then received her master’s and Specialist’s degrees at Ball State University in Indiana.

“I knew I wanted science, but I didn’t realize my passion for research until I found my first job in genetics working with corn and human cell cultures,” Mrs. Wagner said.

Her first teaching job was at the Indiana Academy for Science, Mathematics and Humanities, another residential high school for gifted students. She taught AP Biology, Genetics and Junior Research. Soon after, her family moved to Mississippi where she began pursuing a Ph.D. at the University of Mississippi.

Wagner said  once she moves to Minnesota, she hopes to either consult or finish her doctorate in curriculum instruction and design. She is also interested in working with elementary teachers at a science workshop.

There are things that some may not have known about Mrs. Wagner. She loves to read, especially  book series for hours on end. She is also very arts and crafts-oriented, beading and weaving whenever she gets free time which usually limited to the summers. Also, her favorite color is green.

Junior Alana Andrus, who was able to take cell biology this semester with Mrs. Wagner, says, “She’s super energetic and curious about all things quirky and weird. She brings biology to life, literally, and she cares for students even when they aren’t hers.”

Mrs. Wagner was also very well known for “Tasty Tuesdays,” a tradition she began at MSMS where she bakes cupcakes every Tuesday for a drawing at the end of tutorials. The culinary delights are a student favorite, made by the Wagner who doesn’t “have a sweet tooth at all.”

After Mrs. Truitt brought an extra cake to tutorials one day, Wagner realized that students missed home cooking and decided to begin the weekly drawing. “I thought I could give students something homey, and I got caught up in decorating so it became fun for me, too,” she says. “I will probably not continue baking though,” she said while laughing.

In honor of Mrs. Wagner, students organized a farewell gala last Tuesday after study hours. Andrus played a major role in organizing the gala by composing a powerpoint of Southern phrases that could not be spoken in the North. She says, “I thought the powerpoint would be funny, especially since I am from the north, and it also wouldn’t be sad to see her go and the party could be more entertaining and unique.”

Wagner admitted the event “was (a) big and awesome surprise! The gifts were really heartfelt, and the northern powerpoint was brilliant. The mitochondria scarf was one of the coolest things ever,” she said, adding that she felt better knowing that she could “say goodbye to her kids with a really sweet send-off.

“I love the dorky kids. Everyone understands science jokes and references, and I live and breathe that level of nerdiness,” Wagner said of her love for MSMS students.

“MSMS has lots of students with a common goal and interest in learning, and they get to do that here. They bond and grow cohesive really quickly. The students are the reason why I wish I could’ve stayed in Columbus. MSMS changed my daughter’s life, and I’m happy that I could teach here,” she said.