The Story of Us: Prom 2017

Heath Stevens

A group of MSMS students and their dates pose near the dance floor at Lion Hills Center.

Hannah Houston, Guest Writer

After weeks of making dinner reservations, planning photo shoots, and searching for the perfect dress or tuxedo, the annual MSMS promenade finally arrived.  The anticipation and excitement leading up to the big night was unmatched by the fabulous reality of prom.  

The dance was held at the Lion Hills center this past Saturday, April 8.  The evening was put together by the junior class officers along with prom sponsors, Mr. Patel, Mrs. McWhorter and Mrs. Pierce.  

The prom theme chosen was “The Story of Us,” descried by junior class officer Sabrina Solomon as “the story of MSMS as a whole, and how much we’ve grown, how much we’ve gone through together.”  The theme was expressed through “throwback” songs and a walk down memory lane in the tunnel entrance filled with baby pictures of current students.  Solomon went on to say, “The theme of our time spent together was meant to be classy and fun.”

The theme hit home with many of the seniors, as a wave of memories flashed by about their time spent up until prom.  Ariel Williams said “Being a senior, it was nostalgic to see our baby pictures, and then see where we are now.”  Senior Morgan Dollar also enjoyed the theme and said, “The senior walk through the themed tunnel was an inspiring event to look back on high school, wave goodbye to the juniors and end on a high note.”

Junior class officer Jack Sparkman said, “It was fantastic!”  He also added, “We faced a lot of challenges when our main sponsor, Mrs. Wagner, left the school, but luckily Mrs. Pierce stepped in and helped us put on a great prom.”

Pierce said, “Prom planning always has its bumps in the road, but from my perspective, I’ve heard nothing but good comments about the result.”  

Along with the change of sponsors, one of the biggest mountains that faced the prom committee was the creation of the tunnel.  Mrs. McWhorter said, “The tunnel, which turned out so wonderfully, was a challenge through conception to planning.”  She says it came together with the help of Mr. Patel and his creative engineering.    

McWhorter also mentioned that she had a fun night at prom, saying, “As a teacher it’s fun for me to let students see that we don’t just live in a classroom.  We were high school kids once too that went to prom and had fun.”  She was excited to let loose for a while, and even wore the same dress from her own senior prom in April, 1994.  

Students at MSMS all agree that prom was a blast.  Junior Kyle Brown even stated that “prom was the best dance we’ve had here so far.”  He said it was “especially fun to see the teachers on the dance floor for once.”  One of the highlights for several students was the dance duo between McWhorter and Mr. Funderburk.  Junior Briana Johnston added, “It kind of made me uncomfortable but was super fun to see.”

The “throwback” music was a hit with several students.  Senior Zach Hodge said, “When I heard ‘Hollaback Girl’ come on I got really excited.” Juniors Stephanie Fuller and Gene Kloss went to the dance together.  Fuller said, “My favorite moment was when ‘Allstar’ by Smashmouth came on,” and Kloss agreed.  

The promenade court was voted on upon arrival, and the winners were announced during the middle of the dance.  The Senior Prom King and Queen were Jax Dallas and Ariel Williams.  Aiden Dunkleberg and Rosie Andrews were voted Junior Prince and Princess.  Williams said, “I was so ecstatic, and jumped ten feet in the air and was freaking out with excitement.”  Everyone cheered for the court and let the royalty take a spotlight dance.  

Mrs. Pierce confirmed that a total of 213 tickets were sold and everyone who bought a ticket showed up.  The total amount received from tickets was around $3,750.