MSMS ignites scientific curiosity in young minds at annual Science Carnival

Elementary schoolers gather at Pohl gym on Oct. 31 to delve into hands-on science taught by MSMS students at the annual Science Carnival.
Caleb Youngblood

More than 400 elementary school students gathered at Pohl gym on Oct. 31 to delve into hands-on science taught by MSMS students at the annual Science Carnival.

Sixty MSMS juniors and seniors presented demonstrations to second and third graders from Cook Elementary, Franklin Academy, Stokes-Beard Elementary schools and other schools across the state. The demonstrations consisted of two projects from each science discipline: biology, chemistry and physics.

Junior Darshi Kher presented a biology station, which used a small ball of simulated germs to represent bacteria. The elementary students then used hand sanitizer to clean it off their hands. An ultraviolet light was then used to see how effective the hand sanitizer was. 

“The most exciting part of the Science Carnival was seeing the amazed faces of the children,” Kher said. “We aimed to make the experience both fun and educational, which I believe we achieved.”

Senior Dylan Wiley said he appreciated the opportunity to teach and connect with children at the event. He also said enthusiasm was extremely important for making science engaging for young learners.

“To be able to teach and interact with the children wasn’t just a chance to show off what I know, but to relive how exciting [it] felt when I was in their shoes,” Wiley said.

Junior Alex Connor (left) and senior Makayla Houston present a color theory station at Science Carnival. (Caleb Youngblood)

Kher said the students were intrigued by the demonstrations and asked insightful questions about the science presented to them.

“The students and even their teachers were willing to learn,” Kher said. “I felt like they found an educational value behind the demonstrations.”

The initiative for the carnival started early, with planning beginning in August. Chemistry instructor Elizabeth Morgan said it involved extensive collaboration between teachers and students. 

“We have to work with [the Mississippi University for Women] to identify a date the gym is available and to determine which demonstrations will be presented [so we can] order supplies beforehand,” Morgan said. “All of the teachers train one or more groups of students to present, and we also work together to train the greeters and guides.”

Morgan said the event’s execution depended largely on the students’ efforts.

“On the day of, the students do the bulk of the work to make the event successful,” Morgan said. “Their enthusiasm and creativity are key factors in bringing our ideas to life and engaging the elementary students.”

Senior Lisa Seid presents an inertia station at Science Carnival. (Caleb Youngblood)

Kher said the Science Carnival serves as more than just an event — it’s an experience that develops scientific curiosity in children.

“Science Carnival is a great learning experience for these young people,” Kher said. “I think this event can spark young children’s minds and inspire them in science.”

While reflecting on the event’s significance, Wiley said it holds a lasting place in the MSMS community.

“It’s more than just an MSMS tradition — it’s an opportunity for students to learn, grow and contribute [to our] community each year and this should definitely continue to future years,” Wiley said.

From right to left: Juniors Jonathan Stancill, Andrew Dowdy and Ava Nguyen present at a Science Carnival station. (Caleb Youngblood)