Students Serve the Community

Yousef Abu-Salah, News Editor

20161117_183810

On November 24th, a small amount of MSMS students joined Ms. LaToya Bledsoe in order to participate in a community service project that was presented in conjunction with  Wesley United Methodist Church. This food service project has been going on for the past three years, and this was yet another iteration in this series.

MSMS students participated in the a wide variety of tasks for the church. These tasks included setting up the tables around the church as well as preparing and serving foods and drinks.

“The experience was very good and rewarding. It felt really good to help the community around me, and I will definitely be taking part in this next year,”  junior Steven Chung stated.

“I felt that this experience was pretty great. I managed to get a backpack full of goods, a nice USB flash drive, and some really good food. I personally believe that it was the right decision to participate in this community service opportunity with Ms. LaToya, and I’m surely going to do it next year,” junior Reyhan Grims added.

After the MSMS students as well as Bledsoe had completed the work service, they were recognized for the help that they had provided. Bledsoe was provided with a volunteer supporter certificate while the MSMS students were presented with a certificate of gratitude for volunteering in September during the Contact Hotline’s 5K Suicide Awareness and Prevention Walk.

The students were also presented with a backpack full of school supplies, a great bounty of food, and an USB flash drive.

“Although recognition is good, I don’t do community service to be recognized. I offer opportunities for our students to give back within the community because generosity goes a long way.  Giving back is not a recognition; it is something I do from the heart. This experience was incredible, and I truly feel that the kids and I managed to both grow more as human beings,” Bledsoe explained.