Vive la France: MSMS Celebrates French Week

Joy+Payne+prepares+a+crepe+during+French+Week.+

Lori Pierce

Joy Payne prepares a crepe during French Week.

Yousef Abu-Salah, News Editor

On Monday, the commencement of French Week, an annual week celebrated across the nation that aims to celebrate French culture, began with a bang: delicious crepes being served by the likes of our very own students.

Originating from the American Association of Teachers in French, this commemoration has been practiced at MSMS for a few years now with the express help of Mrs. Lori Pierce, sponsor of the Societé Honoraire de Français (the French Club).

“We have celebrated French Week several times at MSMS and some of the ideas are the same each year, but there are several new ideas this year,” Pierce said.

These new ideas for the year included the making of crêpes, which were inspired by Pierce’s travels to France.

“I make crêpes because they are pretty easy and everyone seems to love them. Three years ago I traveled to Paris and bought a crêpe from a street vendor for the first time and got to watch him make it. When I came back, I bought different equipment and changed my technique to make it more authentic. So, we make our crêpes here in the same general way that they are made on the streets in Paris. We don’t have the full variety of toppings, but our toppings are offered in Paris,” Pierce stated.

This celebration of French culture not only features delicious French cuisine, but it also includes the likes of a “Mime-Off,” various contests with French-themed prizes and games, and French movies that all culminate to form a celebration unlike any other taking places within the walls of MSMS.