Hollywood at MSMS: Introduction to American Film

Dr. Thomas Easterling, an English faculty member at MSMS, teaches Introduction to American Film.

courtesy of LinkedIn

Shelbi Allen, Staff Writer

Every week on Tuesday and Thursday, Dr. Thomas Easterling, an English faculty member at MSMS and film club sponsor, directs a class called Introduction to American Film. The semester-long class is intended to assist students in becoming familiar in American film and film vocabulary.

The course is an elective for both seniors and juniors, and the focus is well-rounded with movies from 20th century America. During an interview with West Givens, film club co-president, Easterling said, “Without meaning any disrespect towards the discipline of English, it’s hard to avoid the fact that film is the most important medium of the 20th century. In addition to giving students the language they need to express what they like about the films, I really, really love watching students watch great movies for the first time.”

The films range from “City Lights” – with Charlie Chaplin – to “Little Miss Sunshine.” Some classics, such as “The Graduate” and “Chinatown,” are played every semester; however, Easterling takes student requests and changes the movie rotation.

Easterling emphasizes the importance of an educated discussion, especially as it pertains to controversial themes in the plots of movies. When talking about “Do the Right Thing,” the class discussed racial tensions and police brutality.

Noah Hunt, an MSMS junior, took the class, and he said, “I liked ‘Do the Right Thing,’ and my favorite part about the discussion was hearing everyone’s disagreements and their explanations for disagreeing.”