Vacancy At MSMS: Tanya Walker Announces Retirement

Shelbi Allen, Staff Writer

On April 20th, MSMS started the search for a new Director of Student Affairs in preparation for the retirement of Tanya Walker on April 29.

Walker began working at MSMS in July of 2011 after leaving an administration position in Scott County. Walker said she was drawn to MSMS by the opportunity to work at a residential school, and she has learned a new skill while being here.

“I just thought I knew how to multi-task before coming to MSMS. Between all the different duties this position holds, I truly can say I have learned to multi-task at a completely different level of multitasking,” she said.

Walker expressed her love for watching students grow through their experiences at MSMS, as the ideas and creativeness of the students never cease to amaze her. “It is wonderful to see this growth in our young people,” she said.

While Walker has enjoyed her time at MSMS, she offered her reasons for retirement. “I have been away from my family and hometown friends for many years and it is time to move back home to spend time with them. I have five grandchildren who I plan on spoiling rotten, and I will enjoy my old hobbies of cake baking and sewing,” she said.

Her parting advice for students, faculty and staff is a quote from Liz Schillinger: “You should take time out to stomp in a puddle, build a sand castle, jump into a pile of leaves or make a snowman. Each season brings a new adventure – don’t miss out on it.”

MSMS students have considered what characteristics they would like to see in a new Director of Student Affairs.

Senior Allen Lin says, “The person who replaces her should treat students as equal, rather than as children being watched over. Also, someone who can relate to us and understands the students’ needs and concerns.”

This sentiment is echoed with junior Dustin Dunaway. He said, “I would like maybe someone more empathetic. It will hopefully be someone who understands us students on a more personal level, like a former MSMS student or close parent.”

Meanwhile, Mary Madeline LaMastus said, “I’d like someone who really connects with and understands students, and enforces the rules in efficient but not oppressive ways.”

To Walker’s departure, Dunaway said, “Retirement is usually bittersweet. I’m sad to see her go, but I am sure she’s anticipating the break. I’m happy for her, and wish her nothing but the best.”