Prospective students glance at MSMS life in Class of 2018 Interview Day

Vivian Van/The Vision

Hooper building and steps bustling with students from all around Mississippi

Vivian Van, Staff Writer

Anxiety and excitement were palpable as a crowd of prospective juniors from the Class of 2018 waited for interviews and tests during annual Interview Day. They were joined by the sophomores’ family members, current MSMS students emissaries clad in the signature raspberry red shirts.

Current juniors felt excited to meet the sophomores because they were in their shoes a year ago.

Chaz Vickery said participation in Interview Day was a “lot less stressful from when I was here [last year].”

Thomas Roberts said “It’s good to meet next year’s juniors to get to know them.”

Current MSMS students giving advice and encouragement to the anxious applicants.
Vivian Van/The Vision

Jenny Nguyen said, “I am excited to see the amount of potential that the incoming junior class has, and I can’t wait to work alongside them”

Heritage Academy sophomore Stormy Gale said she is most excited about her interview, but nervous about the math test because she “usually can lean back on my calculator and I heard that you can’t use it”. Gale is interested in studying astrophysics-related topics at MSMS.  

Sophmores mingling among their possible future classmates
Vivian Van/The Vision
Sophmores mingling among their potential future classmates.

Senior Emissary Kameron Chow looked back to his own Interview Day two years ago and said, “I feel like an old timer now. I gave a lot of these kids tours and so I kind of feel like my time here is almost over. It’s done.” Chow plans to go to Ole Miss and pursue a pharmacy degree.

Interview Day is viewed as either the start of the opportunities that awaits at MSMS or a huge stepping stone that was overcome by current students. For seniors, Interview Day was the starting line to prepare them for their bright futures. The MSMS Class of 2018 will be notified of their acceptance after final selection day on April 7.