MSMS Students Attend MSU’s International Fiesta

Joy Carino/The Vision

Spectators enjoy a Filipino song performance at the International Fiesta.

Joy Carino, Copy Editor

One can rarely find a time and place to eat Indian samosas, Sri Lankan pickled mangos, Russian cookies, Taiwanese bubble tea and Moroccan rice wraps all in one meal. Yet, the opportunity was available on a bright and breezy afternoon on the Mississippi State University campus.

Mississippi State hosted the 26th annual International Fiesta on April 2, a day to celebrate cultural diversity and the international community, representing countries from all seven continents, living in Starkville. More than 30 countries were represented at the Fiesta, including Venezuela, the Philippines, Korea, Japan, Pakistan, Taiwan and Turkey. Each colorful booth was decorated with flowing flags and manned by individuals who cooked native foods and desserts to sell to passersby. The people who manned the booth often wore their native costumes and invited all people to taste the food.

The Fiesta began with a “Parade of Nations” through campus and around the drill field. Each participant places his or her respective country’s flags in stands behind the performance stage.

In addition to food and drinks, the Fiesta featured live entertainment and an international fashion show. Chinese women sang songs that rice farmers would sing while working in the fields. A Filipino woman sang an old Filipino love song while playing guitar. Indian dancers danced to traditional Indian music and remixed pop-Bollywood style music. The stage also welcomed African drum circles, traditional American line dancing and even deadly Japanese martial art tutorials.

Seniors Ali Otondo, Joy Carino, Abby Perry, and Carly Sneed enjoying Venezuelan rainbow popsicles at the international fiesta.
Courtesy of Laura Daniels
Seniors Ali Otondo, Joy Carino, Abby Perry and Carly Sneed enjoying Venezuelan rainbow popsicles at the international fiesta.

MSMS Senior Abby Perry attended the Fiesta and enjoyed tasting new foods and learning about the “pure art” of samurai fighting. “I learned I actually love Moroccan food. I also liked the Indian dances and the old people line dancing,” said Perry.

The Fiesta, sponsored by the Starkville World Neighbors Association, provided opportunities to purchase arts and crafts and children’s activities. Accents, spices and smiles were passed around the drill field while children played on bouncy houses and tried their hand at a busting a pinata.