MSMS Faces Close Defeat at Regional Science Bowl

Meilun+Zhou%2C+Jason+Necaise%2C+Bram+Finkel%2C+Jenny+Bobo%2C+and+Jacob+McDonald+of+MSMS+Science+Bowl+Team+A.+

Courtesy of Meilun Zhou

Meilun Zhou, Jason Necaise, Bram Finkel, Jenny Bobo, and Jacob McDonald of MSMS Science Bowl Team A.

Joy Carino, Copy Editor

After a long day of competing in the Regional Science Bowl Feb. 12, the two MSMS teams reached the semifinals of the single elimination rounds. This penultimate match would determine which two teams would go head-to-head in the final round which would determine who would attend the National Science Bowl in Washington D.C. Both MSMS teams reached the semifinals, yet both teams did not advance to the final round.

After an interest meeting in the beginning of the year, the MSMS science bowl teams have been practicing every Wednesday led by MSMS chemistry teacher Elizabeth Morgan. Morgan also wanted to thank MSMS biology teacher Bill Odom for attending practices and helping read questions. After months of practicing, answering Science Bowl questions, and growing accustomed to the strict rules, Team A and Team B were selected. Team A consisted of seniors Jenny Bobo (captain), Bram Finkel, Jason Necaise, Jacob McDonald and Meilun Zhou. Team B consisted of senior Kishan Patel (captain), and juniors Andy Zhao, Braeden Foldenauer, Baili Zhong and Wrishija Roy. As the competition neared, the teams practiced more often and each member would focus on a specific topic, or, according to Foldenauer, “cram in before the tournament.”

The competition was held on Feb. 12 in Nissan Building on the Mississippi University for Women campus. Twenty-one teams with 15 or 16 schools throughout Mississippi competed. Both MSMS teams performed well, according to Roy, “considering that Team B (the one I was on) went through some major last-minute team member changes” only a week before the competition. In addition, she said that Team B “ worked really well together and still got to the semi-finals as the dark horse of the competition.”

Team A remained undefeated in the qualifying rounds and advanced to the single elimination rounds. Team B had two wins and one loss but was able to advance through a tie-breaker match to the single elimination rounds. Morgan said, “The day was long, and the competition in the semifinal rounds was very tough.” In the semifinals, Team A faced Oak Grove, and Team B faced Oxford. The final round featured Oxford and Oak Grove, and Oxford won, advancing to the National Science Bowl.

In 2015, Bobo led her team with Zhou, Necaise, and MSMS alumnus Jacob Crossno and William Kao to win first place in Regionals. Afterwards, Bobo, Necaise, Crossno, Kao and Zhou attended Nationals in Washington D.C. Despite this year’s defeat, the team members believe they did well overall. Zhou said, “My experience this year was better than last year even though we got to nationals last year. I worked better with my teammates and had more fun overall.” He added, “Thanks to Dr. Morgan for being so supportive.”

Despite disappointment, the night ended happily with Morgan’s birthday party in Hooper. Zhong said, “She made us brownies and gave us a pizza/chicken wing party.” Many members, including Morgan, expressed that science bowl was a great experience. Zhao said, “Though we did not get as far as we would have hoped, I feel like that what really matters is that we all tried our best and had a good time.” Morgan would also like to thank the students who came and supported the team during the competition and the Science Bowl teams for “their hard work and dedication.”

The juniors remained positive and showed enthusiasm in returning next year. Morgan plans to continue organizing Science Bowl and hopes that others will volunteer next year. Foldenauer said, “I’d just suggest to anyone possibly considering it to definitely give it a shot! It’s truly loads a fun, and the more people we have try out, the better our team will be next year!”