Jarvis Deberry, Class of 1993, Announced as 2016 Graduation Speaker

Jarvis DeBerry, graduate of the MSMS class of 1993, will be speaking to the 2016 graduating seniors and their guests in May.

Courtesy of NOLA Times-Picayune

Rachel Bobo, Editor-In-Chief

With only four months until graduation for the class of 2016, the senior class officers have officially named Jarvis DeBerry, a Pulitzer Prize-winning, New Orleans-based journalist and graduate of MSMS, as the guest speaker.  Preparations began during summer when the class officers brainstormed potential speakers and worked to contact and schedule the event.

“I appreciate your trust in me to help find a graduation speaker,” said senior class President Deldrick Adams. “I have worked very hard with Dr. McConnell and the Senior Class sponsors to make a decision. We all felt that Jarvis DeBerry was the perfect choice.”

After graduating from MSMS in 1993, DeBerry went on to study at Washington University in St. Louis; he graduated in May 1997 with an undergraduate degree in English literature. DeBerry took his experience in college journalism and entered the field of professional news writing with an internship at The New Orleans Times-Picayune. He currently resides in New Orleans permanently and works as deputy opinion editor and columnist.

Throughout his career, DeBerry has been recognized regionally and nationally for his work. For his coverage of the progression and aftermath of Hurricane Katrina in 2005, DeBerry was awarded with the Pulitzer Prize for Public service, along with a team of other journalists.

After their several months of planning and preparation for the graduation ceremonies, Adams said, “I want to thank the Senior Sponsors and officers for helping me make a great choice. I would also like to thank The Class of 2016 for their love and support during my Presidency. You are truly appreciated.”

On May 21, DeBerry will deliver a speech to the graduating class of 2016, their guests and MSMS faculty and staff.  Between the speeches of class officials and other senior students, he will provide a view from the perspective of an MSMS graduate and help introduce the students to their next steps.