Blue Notes Take The Coast in Veteran’s Day Performance

Corrin Dixon

The MSMS Blue Notes prepare to perform in Gulfport, MS.

Chylar Gibson, Staff Writer

This past Saturday, Nov. 10, the MSMS Blue Notes performed at a Veteran’s Day Parade in Gulfport, Mississippi.

The group traveled nearly six hours to Gulfport Friday after classes. The drive included a stop for dinner. They were chaperoned by music teacher Mrs. Barham, history teacher Mrs. Heintz, Residential Life Staff Mrs. Ruth, and bus driver Mrs. Lang.

While in Gulfport, the students explored the beach Friday night. The following day, the Blue Notes performed at the end of the Gulf Coast Veterans Parade.

Corrin Dixon
Cade Burton and Will Sutton have some fun to distract themselves from the cold.

“It was cool. There were a lot of people circulating through. We had never performed in front of that may people before, so it was kind of terrifying,” said junior Sophia Comino.

The students performed at the end point of the parade in a pavilion on the marina. The band and choir performed “Didn’t My Lord Deliver Daniel,” “In That Great Gettin’ Up Morning,” and “I Can’t Stand the Rain,” among others.

“The best part of the trip was hanging out in our rooms the night before the performance. It was a bunch of people I don’t normally hang out with, and we talked until really late. It was just fun,” Grace-Anne Beech, senior, said of the trip.

Beech added that she felt an added camaraderie and closeness to people she would not otherwise be friends with, which she appreciated.

Senior Alex Baumann said his favorite song was “I’ll Take You There.”

“It could have been better,” Baumann said of the performance. “It was 40 degrees and very windy, so it took a toll on our voices. So, it could have been better, but that is okay.”