The Maker Faire Experience

Vivian Van, Student Life/Social Media Editor

Josh Crowson offered his Engineering Club students a chance to go on a school-sponsored trip to Maker Faire in Decatur, Ga. during the first weekend in October. The requirements were to write one to two pages about club plans and why club members would like to go to Maker Faire.

The 10 applicants, myself included, were all approved to go Maker Faire, which is essentially a convention where the local businesses congregate to set up booths that showcase their particular area of “tinkering.”

William Funderburk, Madalyn Coln, and Mckenzie Jones enjoying the Georgia trip
Madalyn Coln
William Funderburk, Madalyn Coln and Mckenzie Jones enjoying the Georgia trip.

There were several booths about 3-D printing, welding, robotics, home innovations and university booths featuring Emory, Georgia Institute of Technology and Georgia State University.

maker-faire-georgia-state-university
University Booth

Walking around these booths was like experiencing a day at engineering Disney World. There were kids building their own tiny bots, adults excited by all the gadgets and programs, and rows upon rows of entertainment by the owners of the booths showing off their creations/talents.

maker-faire-disney-world
“Engineering Disney World”

There were glass-blowers, weavers and drone racers. There was something for everyone to enjoy.

Looming over the loomer
Looming over the loomer

A favorite booth was called the Replantable, a cube storage for bins filled with water and topped with a “plant pad.” This creation is ideal for people who do not have time to garden, but can have fresh herbs and vegetables in as little as three weeks!

Replantable device
Replantable device

There was also an opportunity to participate in a crafts project of using wire and beads with other little innovators.

Me crafting with the kids

Overall, the experience was memorable and inspirational. I have been inspired by the innovators to start creating things in our Engineering Club.