Athlete of the Week: Erin Williams

Kerrigan Clark, Photography Editor

Junior Erin Williams is one of the most promising soccer players of the 2017-2018 MSMS soccer team.  Spectators watch as Williams prepares to play a game against Nettleton.  She usually prepares by doing dynamic stretches and overlap drills.  Williams plays forward, defense, and midfield.  Throughout her whole MSMS career, Williams’ skills have improved, and the whole school has seen her progress as a soccer player.  “With Erin no matter where she is on the field when she receives the ball, the team can always depend on her making a positive play,” said teammate, Mia Riddley.

At 15, she began her career as a soccer player. “At the first game, the coach called my name for the starting line-up and I asked, ‘Who me?’ and my coach said, ‘Yes.’  I was ecstatic to play, but I was also a little scared.  I had never played high school soccer before and I was nervous,” said Williams.

Now at 17, the Hattiesburg native says she has enjoyed playing soccer for MSMS.  Despite William’s role on the soccer team at MSMS, sports has been an important part of her life as a student even before MSMS.  Williams has played soccer for Hattiesburg High School, Hattiesburg Futbol Club,  Hattiesburg Youth Soccer Association and MSMS.  At Hattiesburg High School, Williams was also a part of the Lady Tigers Volleyball team and Hattiesburg track team.  Williams has enjoyed participating in multiple sports since the beginning of her high school career.

Williams has received the title of “Player of the Game” for two games during her soccer career at MSMS.  The first time she won “Player of the Game” was at a game against Columbus High School.  Williams scored two goals and had one assist.  The second time was at a game against Nettleton High School.  Williams scored two goals.  Williams has continued to help carry the team through ups and downs.  She uplifts the team and never gives up, no matter what.  Junior Kiera Monroe commented on Williams playing soccer saying, “She’s a great player.  She shows sportsmanship on and off the field and that’s an important quality to have in soccer.”

Williams is also involved in Blu Diamondz, Black Student Alliance, MSMS Volleyball Club, and MSMS Blue Notes.  With many different clubs, Williams finds comfort in soccer and hanging with her friends.  Other hobbies Williams enjoys are playing her instrument, listening to music, reading and eating.

“Sports are a stress reliever for me because during the game, nothing matters except your ability and your willingness to work as a team.  It’s calming whether it’s on the field in soccer or on the court in volleyball,” expressed Williams.