MSMS Welcomes New Coordinator for Public Relations

Hayden Stokley, Student Life Editor

A new Coordinator for Public Relations has been hired at The Mississippi School for Mathematics and Science. Mrs. Julia Morrison, a Certified Professional in Human Resources, will be taking on the task of managing school-wide publicity, promoting awareness for MSMS programs, and garnering community support.

In light of the school’s litany of achievements, including an outstanding nationwide ranking, portraying what the school can do is vital to reaching more individuals than ever.

Morrison states, “My job is to create and maintain a favorable public image for the school by coordinating the branding and messaging of the school in collaboration with the MSMS Foundation, the MSMS Alumni Association, and PLUS (Parents Lending United Support).”

She must ensure that the school maintains its positive image and accurately reflects the growth, academic success, and scholarship resulting from its influence.

“A key part of that work,” Morrison explains, “is to manage communication with all stakeholder groups to increase awareness and encourage engagement and support from the broader community.”

This job is no easy feat, but Morrison is qualified for the task. She has previously worked in positions at The University of Mississippi School of Law, Harvard University’s School of Engineering and Applied Sciences and Harvard University Alumni Affairs and Development.

Describing her previous experience, Morrison says, “The bulk of my past professional experience has been in fundraising for higher education institutions; however, in every role I have held, I have managed internal and external communication and stakeholder engagement.”

These key skills and extensive training are vital to establishing the school-wide image. The perceived impact will hopefully lead to increased community support and academic engagement throughout Mississippi.

Mrs. Sheila Horton-Brown, Administrative Assistant for the Office of Admissions and Advancement, says, “We are delighted to have Ms. Julia Morrison as a part of our office. We welcome her to the MSMS family as the new Public Relations Coordinator. I look forward to reading many articles about our students, faculty and staff in the many ways they are making a difference at this school, in the community, and throughout the state of Mississippi.”

“The Coordinator for Public Relations plays a pivotal role in ensuring a consistent, positive message about MSMS to all of our constituent groups across the state and beyond. Ms. Morrison brings a wealth of experience and a high degree of competency and motivation to this position. We look forward to supporting her as she works to make MSMS a household name in our state,” states Dr. Kate Borsig, MSMS Director for Advancement.

Morrison states, “I am very excited to be a part of the MSMS Community and look forward to working more closely with our outstanding faculty, staff, and students to advance the mission of the school.”