Res Life Serving Up a New Activity

Brady Suttles

R.A. James Jourdan and junior August Andre plays a casual game of ping-pong.

Gary Nguyen, News Editor

New to the lobby floor of Frazer Hall are the frequent sounds of ‘ping’ and ‘pong.’ The furniture has recently been rearranged last weekend to allow room for students to now enjoy table tennis. Implemented by the residential life staff, the addition seems to have been successful in giving the dorms a change in routine.

Provided with paddles and balls, the table is open to all students during open Frazer office hours.

Some students have become quickly accustomed to the new activity and enjoy the increased presence of their fellow peers.

Senior Chance Greenlee, who plays on the ping-pong table at least once a day, states, “It adds more purpose and life to first floor Frazer lobby. It seems that more people come in there now, and people, who love to play ping-pong, wouldn’t have to go to Stark all the time, especially when it’s closed.”

Others are starting to rely on the new table as a form of stress relief.

Senior David Thaggard states, “It adds a bit of a competitive, fun, and relaxing atmosphere to the lobby.  It’s always fun to see people down there all the time to relieve stress from working all the time. I know I’ve been down there a couple of times.”

A topic that has arisen out of the new addition is whether or not the ping-pong table is more distracting or beneficial to the students.

Thaggard, who finds value in both sides of the argument, comments, “It’s a balance of both. If you aren’t mature enough about your time management, then it could be more of a distraction.  But if you’re responsible enough about it, then you could use it as a way to take a break away from work.”

Not only has the table brightened up the students’ dorm life, it has also given the residential life staff something to look forward to during their shifts.

Residential Assistant James Jourdan comments, “It’s a lot of fun. It gives me something to do, and it gives me something to connect with the students with – by beating them.”

Jourdan is also enthusiastic about seeing the table almost always surrounded by students and R.A.s, especially after school.  He believes that it has been beneficial and effective in promoting comradery.