Junior Class Officer Election Results are Revealed

Students wait to hear speeches from the candidates running for Junior Class Officer positions.

Brady Suttles, Assistant News Editor

The junior class officer elections were held for the MSMS Class of 2019. On Wednesday, August 30, current SGA officers held a forum for the candidates. Nervously standing before their piers, the candidates gave speeches in an attempt to persuade their classmates to vote for them. The voting was held through a Google Form on Thursday, and the results were announced Friday.

In her speech, Junior Annanesya James, one of the candidates running for class president, stated, “I want to make a change in our Junior years for our school, for the state of Mississippi all together. I don’t want to just focus on prom.” (The Junior Class Officers have the responsibility of managing prom.) James stated she has a few ideas for the event but does not want to disclose them until the class officers have met. She also expressed her desire for the “junior class officers to be more affiliated in school affairs.”

The treasurer of the junior class will be responsible for managing funds for prom.

Sophia Pepper believes she is qualified for the job because she was treasurer for “Technology Student Association, robotics competitions, and handled most of the money for GSA” at her previous high school.

She plans on spreading more awareness for the school because so many people in the state have no idea about MSMS and what it truly is. She believes both the senior and junior class officers need to work together to achieve this. James also stressed working with the senior class officers to further awareness for MSMS.

Junior Theresa Ho hopes the officers “uphold the rules and keep a positive image of the school.”

In all the candidates’ speeches, they expressed they would serve the class beyond prom. James plans on having a kickball tournament for local students, another means of awareness. She is determined to make the juniors’ first year at MSMS unforgettable.

The winners of the class elections are as follows:

• President: Annanesya James
  • Vice President: Samantha Anderson
  • Secretary: Peter Nguyen
  • Treasurer: Sophia Pepper
  • Historian: Taylor Schamblin