MSMS Hosts Middle School Science Bowl

Wrishija Roy, Assistant News Editor

Over this past weekend MSMS hosted the Mississippi Regional Middle School Science Bowl. Science Bowl is a fast-paced competition between two teams with technical problems and questions ranging in all branches of science and math. More than 100 students from schools throughout the state came to gather in Hooper Academic Building to engage in a day of intense competition.

There were a number of volunteers that participated as well. After setting up competition rooms and helping with training on Friday, current members of MSMS Science Bowl among other students spent Saturday serving as time keepers, score keepers, and score runners. Various STEM teachers and adult volunteers from the local community also participated as judges and moderators.

Photo Courtesy of McKenzie Jones
One of the competition rooms for the Middle School Science Bowl

For junior Gary Nguyen, this was his first year experiencing the Middle School Science Bowl as a volunteer. Nguyen says, “Perhaps the best thing about volunteering was being a part of the exciting and tense environment of the competition, even though I was just helping run the competition.”

Senior Braeden Foldenauer, who has been a member of the MSMS Science Bowl and a MSSB volunteer since his junior year, was also at the event. He says, “Volunteering at the past two Middle School Science Bowls has been absolutely incredible. It was so inspiring to see some of the brightest minds that our state produces gather on our campus Saturday.”

There are various benefits to participating in an activity like Science Bowl from such a young age. Volunteer Chinwe Udemgba says, “It helps spark their interest in science and might get them interested in a career in the STEM field.” Foldenauer adds that “practicing for years can be an absolute game changer at competition, but being able to challenge yourself and also collaborate with your teammates is both a great bonding experience and also rewarding personally.”

Dr. Odom, a member of the MSMS faculty and the Regional Coordinator of the Regional MSSB, thought the tournament was “phenomenal”. He says, “I’ve always enjoyed working with MSMS students when younger students are involved. [They are students] for them to look up to!”

Members of the Student Environmental Awareness League also volunteered in the Hogarth Dining Hall as the young students came for lunch. The MSMS students asked questions relating to the environment and in return they distributed candy to the competitors. Senior and SEAL member Damare Baker says, “I think the kids really enjoyed the event; we hope that it made them more aware about recycling and the environment.”

The Engineering Club was also represented at Saturday’s event. With three of our school’s 3-D printers set up in the Hooper computer lab, the club President Connor McCartney worked diligently to print small squares with the MSMS logo for distribution.

Photo Courtesy of McKenzie Jones
One of MSMS’s 3-D printers

Competition rounds began at 9:15 a.m., concluding with the Awards Ceremony at 4 p.m. The Jackson Preparatory School Team A placed second, while Oxford Middle School Team A placed first and will go on to compete at the national level in Washington D.C. from April 27 to May 1.