Paying Tribute to the Past: We Matter

Maliah Wilkinson/ The Vision

Paying Tribute to the Past: We Matter The student preformers at the Black History Program in Hogarth Auditorium

Maliah Wilkinson, Staff Writter

The Mississippi School for Mathematics and Sciences’s 2016 Black History program promised many things before its performance on Monday, Feb. 22. They promised entertainment, enlightenment, and a continuation of tradition. Many in the audience would agree that this year’s Black History program fulfilled all these promises. The program was sponsored by Sheila Horton, the Voices in Harmony Choir (VIH), and the Racial Ethics Club. The program’s mistress of ceremonies for the night was Roshanna Stallings, a MSMS senior and VIH Secretary.

The program also contained a tribute to the nine “most prominent” African American sororities and fraternities. This tribute was performed by the Blue Knights and the Blu Diamondz step teams. These teams were headed by Gregory Thompson and Tehya Collier, both of whom have been members of their respective step teams since junior year.

In honor of the late great Etta James, Chinwe Udemgba performed a skit along with three songs: “At Last”, “I’d Rather Go Blind”, and “All I Can Do is Cry.”

Udemgba said, “I was proud to pay tribute to Etta James and I hope my solo did justice to her amazing songs.”

Jasmine King and Summar McGee also performed a skit of characters from their Tales from the Crypt and 8th of May performances last year. Tiana Spivey the REC Club Founder and President has been working on this project for many weeks and was “extremely proud to see her hard work come into fruition.” Spivey also performed a “thrilling” praise dance, according to audience members.

Spivey went on to say “As the coordinator it was a lot of work but it all payed off in the end because we had a successful program.”

The Black History program also featured several songs from the VIH Choir and their director Nikita Harris.The choir of over fifteen students practiced for four weeks in preparation for this event.

Harris stated, “I felt the program was amazing. Although things were hectic [leading] to the program, everyone did an incredible job.”

During the program the MSMS 2016 Class president Deldrick Adams performed a rendition of I Too Sing by, Harlem Renaissance poet, Langston Hughes.

Adams chose this poem because, “It is a very truthful poem about black oppression.”

Timothy Spivey, Blue Knights Vice President, and Kennedy Lewis, VIH Choir member, each performed “chilling and emotional” spoken word poems that they had written themselves. These “powerful” poems called for several rounds of applause from the audience. Spiveys poem was titled “Equality Under Discretion” and Lewis’s was titled “I AM”.

Spivey said, “Being able to participate in the program was an honor. I was pleased to convey my feelings through a poem on a topic I have a strong connection to.”

Ayana Love, Blu Diamondz step team Secretary and VIH member, sung Powerful by Alicia Keys and Jussie Smollett. After weeks of practicing, over 30 MSMS students worked together to perform at this year’s annual Black History Program.