The Eyes of MSMS

The Eyes of MSMS

The Eyes of MSMS

Blue Waves News and Notes 2.5.24

Iris Xue
Among the highlights of the week of Feb. 5, senior Noah Lee and juniors Claire Rizzo and Max Thompson won the Mississippi Poetry Project: Who I Am contest, several MSMS Speech and Debate Team members qualified for the National Catholic Forensic League tournament, and MSMS Quizbowl Team A placed third in the MSMS Spring Invitational II tournament.

MSMS students shine in statewide MS Poetry Project: Who I Am contest

In a school-level contest hosted by the Mississippi Poetry Project last semester, juniors Savannah Massey and Max Thompson, and seniors Annadele Beckman, Noah Curtis Lee and Ava Grace Noe were selected to represent MSMS in the state level of the MS Poetry Project: Who I Am K-12 contest. On Feb. 5, Mississippi Poet Laureate Catherine Pierce announced three out of the six representatives were statewide winners: Lee, Rizzo and Thompson. The works of the six writers will be published in the project’s anthology this spring.

From left to right: Senior Noah Curtis Lee and juniors Claire Rizzo and Max Thompson pose after selection in the MS Poetry Project: Who I Am contest. (Helena Munoz)

MSMS Debate Team excels at JCFL National Qualifiers

The MSMS Speech and Debate Team showcased its talent at the Junior Catholic Forensic League National Qualifiers Tournament held at Jackson Prep on Feb. 9-10. Seniors Lucianna Marquez and Mariane Powell secured spots in the Public Forum Debate, while senior Jacob Neal and junior Ruth Albright qualified in the Lincoln Douglas Debate. Juniors Yaerim Choi and Megan Colley earned places in the Policy Debate. Additionally, juniors Jaidyn Bryant and Clara Jennings received automatic bids for Duo Interpretation due to low participation. Coached by Sonya Harvey, the team is now gearing up for the National Catholic Forensic League Tournament in Chicago from May 25-26.

Seniors Mariane Powell (left) and Lucianna Marquez point to their names on the NCFL Public Forum qualifiers list from the JCFL National Qualifiers Tournament from Feb. 9-10. (Courtesy of Mariane Powell)

Quizbowl team hosts MSMS Spring Invitational II tournament

On Feb. 10, the MSMS Quizbowl team hosted the MSMS Spring Invitational II tournament. With the usual A and B teams taking a break to assist in ensuring the event’s smooth operation, the new MSMS A team — consisting of senior Ava Noe and juniors Drew Dowdy, Henry Harrison and Jonathan Stancill — stepped up to the challenge. Despite the shift in lineup, MSMS A earned third place overall in the tournament.

Seniors Geoffrey Melton (left) and Ava Noe pose together in their Quizbowl shirts at the MSMS Spring Invitational II tournament. MSMS A team — consisting of Noe and juniors Drew Dowdy, Henry Harrison and Jonathan Stancill — earned third place overall in the tournament. (Courtesy of Ava Noe)

MSMS Blue Waves esports adds Valorant Team

On Feb. 9, MSMS Blue Waves esports team President Levi Stevens announced the addition of a Valorant team captained by senior Ean Choi. A scrimmage between 10 MSMS students was held on Feb. 13 to see who would make the team. The 2024 Valorant spring season began Feb. 20.

The Splatoon 3 team plays in the new computer lab. On Feb. 9, MSMS Blue Waves esports team President Levi Stevens announced the addition of a Valorant team captained by senior Ean Choi. (Photo provided by Levi Stevens)