Blue Waves News and Notes Week of Oct. 29

Among the highlights of last week, the MSMS Speech and Debate Team came home with seven winning debaters at the Warrior Invitational and seniors Sydney Beane, Ashton Lollis and Dylan Wiley performed at the Historic Downtown Performance Tour of Gleeds Corner.
Among the highlights of last week, the MSMS Speech and Debate Team came home with seven winning debaters at the Warrior Invitational and seniors Sydney Beane, Ashton Lollis and Dylan Wiley performed at the Historic Downtown Performance Tour of Gleed’s Corner.
Iris Xue

Speech and Debate sweeps Warrior Invitational Tournament

The MSMS Speech and Debate Team came home with seven winning debaters at the Warrior Invitational hosted by Oak Grove High School. Seniors Lucianna Marquez and Mariane Powell were named champions in the Varsity Public Forum, while senior Jacob Neal and junior Yaerim Choi both won quarterfinalist spots in the Varsity Lincoln-Douglas Debate. In the Novice Lincoln-Douglas Debate, junior Ruth Albright placed as a finalist, and junior Carys Peden was named quarterfinalist. Additionally, junior Megan Colley placed eighth in the Congressional Debate. 

Three MSMS students perform in Downtown Historical Performance Tour of Gleed’s Corner

Seniors Ashton Lollis, Dylan Wiley and Sydney Beane performed downtown as part of a MoreStory event on Nov. 1. This event was a collaboration with the Community Read, “How the Word is Passed” by Clint Smith

Shao wins statewide piano competition, performs for students, faculty

Junior Harrison Shao was named the state representative in the Mississippi Music Teachers National Association Senior Competition. He performed some of those same award-winning pieces in Poindexter hall for students and faculty on Nov. 2. Shao will compete next at the MTNA Southern Division Senior Piano event.

Admissions, Advancement host Fall Preview Day for prospective students

Prospective students and parents flooded the halls of MSMS academic buildings and residence halls for Fall Preview Day. Emissaries led tours of interested students, as well as parents, throughout campus on Nov. 3. Informational sessions were held in Nissan Auditorium, where a general overview of how the residential high school functions was presented. Preview Day gives prospective students a chance to visit the campus and learn about the curriculum, dorm life and many more features. 

Students unwind at Skate Night 

Students traveled to Skate Zone on Nov. 3 to spend time with friends and take a break from school work. Seniors Sebastian Harvey and Julia Nyguen organized the event as a way to give students a break from their arduous workload. 

Senior Class President Julia Nguyen and Vice President Maple Griffin take a break at Skate Night. (Courtesy of Iysiahs York)