Blue Waves News and Notes: Jan. Edition

Among the highlights of last month, 34th annual Tales from the Crypt performers were selected, seniors Vic West and Maple Griffin matched to colleges through the Questbridge National College Match Program, MSMS teachers Lauren Zarandona and Elizabeth Morgan won STEM grants, and MSMS held classes virtually for one week due to inclement weather.
Iris Xue

Seniors Griffin, West match to Davidson, Scripps College through QuestBridge

Seniors Vic West (left) and Maple Griffin were matched to Scripps and Davidson College, respectively, through the QuestBridge National College Match program, a nonprofit initiative connecting exceptional students from low-income backgrounds to the nation’s top colleges.

QuestBridge National College Match named seniors Maple Griffin and Vic West as National Match Scholarship Recipients in December. QuestBridge is a competitive full-ride scholarship program for high-achieving, low-income students. As National Match Scholarship Recipients, Griffin and West will be respectively attending Davidson College and Scripps College completely free of charge. 

Students audition, performers selected for Tales from the Crypt

Students from MSMS’s Tales from the Crypt class auditioned on Jan. 24-25 for a spot in this year’s performances. Eleven performers were selected after numerous impressive showcases pushed judges to go over the planned nine spots. The selected performers are juniors Brooke Anderson, Jennifer Bui, Yaerim Choi, Grace Ann Courtney, Drew Dowdy, Adair Gaines, Isabella Givens, Kelstin Holmes, Domini Jha, Antanae Shelton, Max Thompson and Michelle Yang.

MSMS goes virtual for a week

Due to hazardous weather and a power outage, MSMS canceled classes on Jan. 12, giving students an early start to their extended MLK weekend. However, after snowy weather hit the state of Mississippi, the extended weekend break was prolonged into an entire week. MSMS closed its doors from Jan. 16-21, encouraging students to stay home and off icy roads. Classes were held through Zoom and Canvas. Many MSMS students took the break as an opportunity to chill out and enjoy the snow. 

Zarandona, Morgan win grants for Math Outreach and chemistry experiments

Math teacher Lauren Zarandona (second from left) and chemistry teacher Elizabeth Morgan (third from left) hold their new Tennessee Valley Authority grant and pose with TVA and Columbus Light and Water officials.

Math teacher Lauren Zarandona and science teacher Lib Morgan recently won Tennessee Valley Authority and Columbus Light and Water STEM grants. Zarandona earned a $1,000 grant for MSMS’s Math Outreach program. Morgan earned a $5,000 grant to buy new lab equipment. 

MSMS A places first at Mustang Invitational Quizbowl Tournament

From left to right, seniors Jackson Williams, Jacob Neal, Noah Lee, Jules Gallo and Geoffrey Melton, junior Eden Zmitrovich, senior Maryann Dang and junior Olivia Cochran pose together after their wins at the Jan. 27 Mustang Invitational Quizbowl Tournament. MSMS A team earned first place and the MSMS B team earned second place. (Courtesy of Theo Hummer)

MSMS brought two teams to compete at the Jan. 27 Mustang Invitational Quizbowl Tournament hosted by Murrah High School. Overall, the MSMS A team earned first place and the MSMS B team earned second place. The MSMS A team consisted of seniors Noah Lee, Jules Gallo, Jacob Neal and Jackson Williams. The MSMS B team consisted of seniors Maryann Dang and Geoffery Melton, and juniors Eden Zmitrovich and Olivia Cochran. Multiple players earned individual awards: Gallo won first in overall individual points, Lee won second and Zmitrovich won fourth.