Coffee for Equality in GSA Fundraiser

The Gender and Sexualities Alliance promotes equality and support for every student.

Courtesy of Weebly

Shelbi Allen, Staff Writer

Anyone who found themselves in Hooper lobby last week had the chance to enter their name in a fundraiser for the Gender and Sexualities Alliance of MSMS.

The Gender and Sexualities Alliance, formally named the Gay-Straight Alliance, strives for equality for all genders and sexualities and promotes societal acceptance for every person.

Students had the opportunity to buy one ticket for $1.00 or five tickets for $4.00 in a raffle for a $25.00 gift certificate to the Coffeehouse on 5th. The booth for buying tickets was open during most periods through the week of Feb. 1 through Feb. 5, and the drawing was after 8th period on Feb. 5.

According to West Givens, the GSA club president, the fundraiser gained over $100.00 in donations; however, the exact amount has not been calculated yet. When asked what the money was going towards, West Givens said, “A bigger project/fundraiser that we are working on. [It] has yet to be announced.”

The winner of the raffle bought seven tickets for the event. Many people supported the raffle to help contribute to the GSA cause.

Member Dajah Carter said, “ I feel like they are about as proactive as one of the only GSAs in Mississippi can be. I remember talks of getting supplies for an organization to help transgender people. I know they are definitely at least trying to find ways to show our support.”