18 MSMS Students Recognized in Scholastic Arts and Writing Competition

%28from+left+to+right%29++Laurel+Lancaster%3B+Mary+Alice+White%2C+the+niece+of+Eudora+Welty+and+board+member+of+Eudora+Welty+Foundation%3B+Connor+Hultman%2C+class+of+2015%3B+Markeisha+Pollard%2C+class+of+2015%3B+Sasha+Edwards%3B+and+Shawna+Mckissack+pose+in+front+of+the+Eudora+Welty+House+and+Museum+in+Jackson%2C+Miss.+after+their+recognition+at+Millsaps+College+for+recognition+in+the+2015+Scholastic+Writing+Awards.+

Courtesy of Emma Richardson

(from left to right) Laurel Lancaster; Mary Alice White, the niece of Eudora Welty and board member of Eudora Welty Foundation; Connor Hultman, class of 2015; Markeisha Pollard, class of 2015; Sasha Edwards; and Shawna Mckissack pose in front of the Eudora Welty House and Museum in Jackson, Miss. after their recognition at Millsaps College for recognition in the 2015 Scholastic Writing Awards.

Rachel Bobo, Editor-in-Chief

Several MSMS students were buzzing around their computers and waiting for the Eudora Welty Foundations announcement of the results of the 2016 Scholastic Writing Awards on Jan. 29.

At noon, the regional-level awards were released to entered students and their instructors: 16 MSMS students were recognized in varying categories, as later announced to the MSMS community. One day before, the Scholastic Arts competition also recognized two MSMS students for their submissions. A full list of awarded MSMS students can be found below.

Summar McGee was one student waiting to hear the announcement during her fifth period class. “I didn’t really expect to win anything, but I was hopeful,” said McGee. “I was really surprised to see which of my works won the gold key.”

Connor Hultman, graduate of the MSMS Class of 2015, reading to an assembled audience at Millsaps College after receiving a Gold Key for his senior portfolio submission.
Courtesy of Emma Richardson

While their classmates and peers were unaware of the art and writing competition, to some students “the oldest and most prestigious writing competition for high school students,” as identified by Creative Writing course instructor Emma Richardson, is an opportunity to realize some dreams of writing or painting professionally. The four students recognized with a “Gold Key,” senior Joy Carino, junior Zoe Fowler, McGee and junior Reagan Poston, will continue on to the national level of the Scholastic Writing competition, vying for a spot for publication in the contest’s annual high school collection. The two students, senior Justin Calhoun and junior Lauryn Smith, recognized in the Scholastic Arts competition will have their work displayed in the Mississippi Museum of Art in Jackson, Miss., from Feb. 9 to March 13.

Poston, who was recognized for both her essay and poetry submissions, said, “I would love to see my piece published or displayed through this. I want to be a novelist one day, so this is a great place to start with publications.” Poston was also recognized as an “American Voices Nominee” for her personal essay “Where the Heart Should Be.” Only five “Gold Key” students, regardless of age or category, from the region are selected to go on to the national level under this title.

Recognized students worked both in class and independently on their submissions. Creative Writing students were required to submit pieces to the competition, and they received writing critique from their classmates and Mrs. Richardson for many of their pieces before submission.

“The submission process is a challenge in itself,” said Richardson before explaining the multi-step registration and entry process. “I am grateful to our MSMS administration for underwriting the cost of one submission per student (plus Senior Portfolio entries).”

I submitted more [than one work] because I figured the chances were much higher,” said McGee. “I am glad I did because if I hadn’t submitted additional works, I would not have submitted the work that actually won me the gold key. I never wrote any specific piece for the sole purpose of submission.”

“The students who took the initiative to enter the competition,” according to art instructor Angie Jones, entered pieces into the arts division of the competition; she guided and offered advice to students who expressed interest in submission.

Calhoun, who was recognized with a “Gold Key” for his submission, is currently pursuing art under an independent study of Painting III. Jones said, “I had him do experimental things. The piece that won was a multi-media painting.” Smith, who was recognized with a “Silver Key” and honorable mention, completed her submitted pieces outside of class.

“I wrote my piece for class, and when we read it that day, people seemed to like it so I was hopeful. I still was surprised and very excited when I was selected though,” said Poston. “It was a course requirement, but I was still inspired to write it. I think my essay was particularly inspired by the general homesickness that comes with living at a residential high school.”

Jones also commented on how being at MSMS can affect a student’s submissions. “By the second semester, people have materials to enter, but first semester is very busy,” said Jones, mentioning her reasoning for not requiring all students to enter the Scholastic Arts competition.

The daily life of MSMS, however, also inspired some students entries. “I get a lot of my inspiration from my friends,” said Poston. “Original characters are really my friends in disguise. But general story lines are sometimes sparked by a dream or a snippet of conversation. Anything that seems out of place is an opportunity, in my mind, to go back and put it where it should go in a fun way.” Throughout the busy school year, students interested in composition or art still find time to pursue their non-academic dreams and earn the praise of MSMS administration for their “outstanding accomplishment.”

“I try to write from my experiences, but my more abstract pieces are honestly inspired by sleep deprivation,” said McGee, who said the competition “could potentially open doors for me as a writer.”

(from left to right) Jenny Bobo, Sasha Edwards, Markeisha Pollard (2015 MSMS graduate), Connor Hultman (2015 graduate), Shawna Mckissack, and Laurel Lancaster pose after a recognition ceremony at Millsaps College in Jackson, Miss. for the 2015 Scholastic Writing Awards.
Courtesy of Emma Richardson

“All of the Creative Writing students worked hard on their entries, and I commend them for the high quality of their writing,” said Richardson who is also “excited” for the students competing at a national level. “Past judges include well known writers such as Robert Frost, Langston Hughes, Judy Blume, David Sedaris and Nikki Giovanni, so it’s exciting to think that other writers of such caliber and international renown will be reading our MSMS students’ works,” she said.

The national level of the 2016 Scholastic Arts and Writing competition will be held later in the spring semester. Students recognized for their writing entries with both “Silver” and “Gold Keys” will be able to attend the Regional Awards ceremony at the Eudora Welty House and Gardens on April 10.