Preparations Underway for MSMS Black History Program

courtesy of: after the alter call

Black History Month Poster

Maliah Wilkinson, Staff Writer

The Voices in Harmony, Blu Diamondz, Blue Knights, Grecian Urn Society and the Drama Club are headlining the entertainment for the annual Black history program. Headed by Sheila Horton, the coordinator for Admissions and VIH choir sponsor, this program hopes to present a variety of tributes to leaders in the African American community. 

The tentative date is Monday, Feb. 22 at 6 p.m. in Shackelford Auditorium. The VIH choir and the MSMS step teams have already begun practicing for the upcoming event.

“This year we will have outside performers and we hope that the Columbus community, as well as the MSMS community, can come out and enjoy our program,” Horton.

VIH member Ariana Butler said, “As an African American, this is a great opportunity for me to learn more about my heritage and also to teach others about [the African American] culture.”

Tehya Collier, the Blue Diamonds Captain mentioned, “We have been practicing for this program weeks in advance, but it’s not uncommon for us to do that. We are doing what we normally do in preparation for events such as this to provide quality entertainment that many have come to expect from our team.”

Tiana Spivey, president and founder of the Racial Ethics and Equality Club (REC), also in the Back History Program said, “If anyone is interested in participating or contributing contact me or Sheila Horton with your ideas.”

Many people consider MSMS to be a hub of diversity with clubs like REC, VIH and the Asian Students Association, MSMS students have been shown the importance of cross-cultural engagement and inclusion.