It’s Free Money & I Want It Now

A reminder to students that scholarships aren’t just online; scholarship books are available.

Maliah Wilkinson, Staff Writer

With the new year rolling in, many seniors at the Mississippi School for Mathematics and Science are concerned with the growing need for scholarships to reduce the cost of college. Although the deadline has already passed for many endowments like the Burger King Scholarship, the Horatio Alger Scholarship and the Jack Kent Cooke Scholarship, many other grants are still open and accepting applications. Here is a 2016 scholarship list that features some scholarship and grant options for MSMSers: (All scholarships mentioned are still active and worth a minimum of $5,000; federal grants differ in amounts)

Tiana Spivey, wo has applied for five scholarships said, “The hardest part is starting. If you can start then you can finish.”

Jesse Pugsley has applied for about five or six scholarships, she said, adding“I should’ve applied a lot earlier for more scholarships.”

Katelyn Jackson encouraged peers to “take advantage of the emails from your counselors and make reminders on your calendars!”

Greg Billingsley, a junior who has been looking into college scholarships since November, said, “I’ve been looking and there are a lot of scholarships out there if you’re willing to work for them.”

Don’t forget to check out the MSMS Counselors’ Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/MSMSCounseling for scholarships and scholarship writing tips.