MSMS Blue Waves Roll Over West Point

Kameron Chow

Pictured form left to right, Kobe van Someren, Boris Ragula, Connor Bluntson, Boone Leetran, Noah McKone, Tyler Hartman

Christian Donoho, News Editor

After months of practicing, conditioning, and preparing for the season, the MSMS Blue Waves won the first game of the season against West Point with a final score of 4-0 for both the girls’ and boys’ teams. The game was played at home at the Columbus soccer complex.

“We had the tactical advantage due to coaching. We were able to move the ball across the field better than they were,” said Kobe van Someran, captain for the boys’ soccer team.  

Van Someren, though optimistic about the future, was also aware of key areas that needed to be improved upon. “The main thing we are concerned about is preventing injury and staying composed on the field.”

Madeline Mixon, captain for the girls’ soccer team, echoed this sentiment, “We did really well with our formations, staying calm and making important shots. We have to remember to spread out and call for the ball so we don’t get cluttered.”

According to Mixon and Van Someren, both teams still can improve working on communicating and functioning as a unit.

The excitement over the game against West Point was especially high after the game’s cancellation. The game had been scheduled for a week earlier but steady rains soaked the fields and rendered them unusable.

MSMS will be playing Columbus High School on November 17th, again at the soccer complex.