National Merit semifinalists give PSAT advice

https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=70122692

The PSAT/NMSQT is offered annually to high school freshmen, sophomores and juniors. Whether or not they qualify for National Merit depends on their scores from junior year.

Catherine Boltz, Copy Editor

Last October, the MSMS class of 2020 walked into Hooper with pencils and calculators in hand to take the Preliminary Scholastic Aptitude Test, otherwise known as the PSAT. Students had to complete four sections in two hours and forty-five minutes, which included evidence-based reading and writing, and calculator active and non calculator active math. Now a year later, 11 of those students have been revealed as National Merit Semifinalists. The Vision sat down with five of them so they could share thoughts about being a semifinalist, what it means for their future, and some advice for the juniors who are taking the PSAT in October.

The first of these five, Austin Eubank, is excited about being a national merit semifinalist and the opportunities that come with it. 

“I think it will definitely help with college applications and college in general, but I don’t think it has much warrant after that,” Eubank said.

His advice to the juniors is to not worry too much about studying. “Just make sure you know your geometry and trig for the math section and know how commas work for English.”

Ryley Fallon thinks it’s “pretty cool” to be a National Merit Semifinalist; however, she isn’t sure it will help her in the future. Depending on which colleges she applies to, being a semifinalist may or may not contribute to earning scholarships.

“It’s a relief to know that if I end up going to Mississippi State I will be able to get a lot of scholarship money,” Fallon said. 

As for her advice to the juniors, the biggest thing is not to worry. “I do recommend if you’ve never taken the PSAT test before to take a practice test to see how it’s formatted but don’t stress too much about practicing so much.”

For Nathan Lee, being a national merit semifinalist is also “pretty cool”; however, he doesn’t think it will change anything due to his ACT score unless he goes to an in-state school. 

“I think if I go to an in-state school it might help out but I know if I go out of the state, it probably won’t help very much, and I think it depends on where I choose to go,” Lee said.

His advice for the juniors is to just do the best you can and don’t stress over it. “I told myself that whether I got national merit or not, I would probably have the same plans and path. It’s not a test that will greatly affect your future, but it’s still a good opportunity so just do your best and don’t worry,” he said.

Aiden Leise is looking forward to whatever comes of his semifinalist status, whether it takes him to a state college closer to home, or somewhere “up North.” His PSAT advice for his juniors involves taking a pragmatic approach to the test.

“I think a lot of people either think to themselves, ‘Oh my gosh if I’m not a semifinalist I will combust,’ or, ‘This test doesn’t matter because I’m going to a private college.'” said Leise, “Treat it like any other test. Sleep, eat, look over your math equations. It’s just a stack of paper you have control over. We’re forced to take it either way, so may as well give it your best shot.”

Sophia Comino didn’t expect to be one of the semifinalists but is glad it turned out that way. She also says she’s excited because she will get scholarship opportunities.

“I didn’t expect to be there [in the group of semifinalists] but I’m really happy about it,” Comino said.

Her words of wisdom to the juniors is not to get scared. “They’re probably going to do as good as they think they’re going to do. Think you’re going to do good and you’ll be fine.”

The next step for these seniors who’ve gotten national merit semifinalists include filling out an application, writing an essay, and getting recommendation letters. Those that have a high enough ACT score do not have to take the SAT as they can just submit their ACT score. National merit finalists will be revealed in February 2020.

As for the juniors taking the PSAT this month, the main point that this group of semifinalists have made is that stressing just isn’t it, and a positive mindset is the way to go.