Waves Take State

Michelle Li, Sports Editor

The MSMS Swim Team finally had the chance to show off the fruits of their labor at the State Championship Meet in Tupelo. For the first time in a long time, MSMS’s Swim Team has ranked near the top of the state; the girls team and the boys team both placed 4th overall!

Senior Rhet Hailey and Junior Madison McLean were also Individual State Champions in their events. Hailey placed first in the 50 Freestyle and McLean placing first in both the 200 Individual Medley and 100 Breaststroke.

“I’m really proud of the team this year! We had an even better season than last year because of the many top three finishes in individual and relay events. The team’s hard work definitely showed off!” said captain Angie Harri, a senior.

The girls relay team consisting of McLean, Harri, Mary Madeline Lamastus and Alessandra Otondo placed 2nd place overall in both the 200 Medley Relay and the 200 Freestyle Relay.

Harri continued, “Both of the relays that I swam in won second place, and I couldn’t have done it without the rest of my team. I’m really proud that my girls and I went out with a bang! I am really sad that my high school swim career is over, but I wouldn’t have wanted to end it with any other team.”

The boys relay team made up of Hailey, Tyler Hartman, Benjamin Jones and Alex James placed 1st overall in the 200 Freestyle Relay by 0.4 seconds.

Hailey who won first in an individual event said, “I’ve definitely been looking forward and working toward this meet all season and I’m proud of my performance, but I can’t believe the season’s already over!”

Many other swimmers feel the same way. This season is officially over for the MSMS Swim Team, but they are definitely looking forward to next year.

“I’m excited for next year already. I believe that we can have an even better season.” said Junior Justin Smith.