Extra, Extra, Read All About MSMS Student Update

Maliah Wilkinson, Staff Writer

Mississippi School for Mathematics and Science hosted its first 2015 Student Update on Thursday, Oct. 8. At least eight MSMS administrators and faculty members gathered in Hooper to inform the classes of 2016 and 2017 of current updates and the plans for the school’s future. Although the turnout was strikingly low with only four students in attendance, the meeting continued on as planed. Dr. Germain McConnell, the Executive Director of MSMS, began the meeting by introducing the new theme for the 2015 – 2016 MSMS school year: “The Next Level: Still Rising” The topics ranged from construction to the engineering curriculum.

McConnell said, “The meeting was a school update/student forum. We wanted to provide updates about the school and its future but also allow students to ask questions about any issues they have.”

“MSMS hopes to take itself to the next level by continuing to innovate and prepare for the students of tomorrow. We try to meet the individual needs of our students and according to our mission statement,” McConnell continued.

In an interview with McConnell, several topics were discussed about the future plans for MSMS. Construction on MSMS buildings such as Hooper, the Performing Arts Center, Goen, Frazer and Shackelford was mentioned. “No timeline has been conceived yet, but we are working with MUW with plans on how to proceed from here.” McConnell went on to say, “We are in need of funding. We need our legislatures to know about us and be made aware of our needs. However, we are receiving help from the MSMS Foundation, parents and alumni.”

MSMS has also implemented several new community service ideas. “Community service is who we are. We don’t do this to be served; we do this to serve. By doing community service, we are adding value to this state.”

Screen Shot 2015-10-18 at 4.18.05 PMMaliah Wilkinson/The Vision
Screen Shot 2015-10-18 at 4.18.12 PMMaliah Wilkinson/The Vision
Screen Shot 2015-10-18 at 4.18.18 PMMaliah Wilkinson/The Vision

The Mississippi School for Mathematics and Science has big plans for the future, but funding is its biggest problem so far. The next student concerns meeting is set for the spring semester. However, if enough concern is expressed, more meetings are possible.