Students Win Scholarship Money through National History Day

The logo of the National History Day competition, which offers students the opportunity to win scholarship money while exploring the past.

Courtesy of NHD Website

West Givens, Photo Editor

This is the first year that the Mississippi School for Mathematics and Science is participating in the National History Day (NHD) program. Established in 1974, NHD is a non-profit educational organization based in College Park, Maryland. It offers year-long academic programs to middle and high-school students and engages them in conducting original research on historical topics of their interests.

Julie Heintz, an MSMS history teacher, is responsible for bringing this program to MSMS’ doorstep.

“I spent this summer with the executive director of National History Day (Cathy Gorn). I was participating in a World War II fellowship, and National History Day was one of the sponsors of my fellowship,” she said. “Throughout the fellowship, Cathy and I were exploring many different topics and talking about how National History Day fits into those. As we were discussing it, I thought this would be a very natural fit for our MSMS students.”

Each project that the students complete is entered into contests at the local and affiliate levels. The top student projects are able to progress to the National Contest, which is held at the University of Maryland at College Park. The prizes include scholarships to top universities across the United States. This is how Heintz is helping MSMS students.

“The first thing you have to do is decide what your topic is. I have emailed different students some suggestions on different people and topics and National History Day also provides students with suggestions,” she said. “You try to look for something that can fit the theme.”

This year’s theme is “Exploration, Encounter & Exchange.” Students can submit anything from an individual/group research paper, to a performance piece, to a website.

Heintz says that, despite the numerous awards and entry options, not as many students are showing interest like she expected.

“At the club fair we had quite a lot of people sign up. We’ve had one meeting so far and we’re going to have another one this month (September),” she said. “It’s been kind of hit-and-miss. We, of course, are still looking for people that would like to participate.”

The deadlines to commit to a topic and submit the final project are in November and the end of January respectively.

“National History Day focuses on critical thinking and problem solving and also helps you with your research and writing skills,” Heintz said. “It gives you a sense of how you fit into the history of our country.”