11 Members of the Class of 2016 Announced as National Merit Semifinalists

Carly Sneed, Online Editor

national merit
Last October, every junior in the Mississippi School for Mathematics and Science walked to their classes hungry, sleepy, but maybe a bit hopeful for the PSAT. Every October the College Board, the same company that offers the SAT, presents the PSAT, or the Practice SAT. These hopeful students were not just looking for practice, however.

They were looking for money.

The PSAT is used as the tool of advancement by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation. High School students may take it, but only Juniors are considered for scholarship opportunities. After the scores go in, several selection rounds over the course of the next year determine a student’s status within the program.

Of the approximately 1.5 million students who take the PSAT, around the top 34,000 receive letters of commendation. This represents the top 2% of test takers. There were 22 students in the MSMS Class of 2016 who received this recognition last spring. Commended students can not compete for National Merit Scholarships, but they may be chosen by private corporations for awards.

The next cut off is for Semifinalists. As a Semifinalist, 16,000 of the top 50,000 scorers are selected on a state by state basis to begin competing  for Finalist status through applications.

Around 7,600 Finalists are chosen for National Merit Scholarships, Corporate Sponsored Merit Scholarships, and College Sponsored Merit Scholarships.

The Semifinalist cut-off was announced this week, to the pride of MSMS’s 11 proud Semifinalists. The Class of 2016’s Semifinalists are Nathan Barlow, Rachel Bobo, Connor Bluntson, Tyler Etheridge, Elizabeth Lanford, Michelle Li, Jason Necaise, Ella Stone, Greg Thompson, Isaiah Williams, and Meilun Zhou.

For many students, the PSAT presents the possibility of relief from most of MSMS’s greatest fear: college debt. Semifinalist Ella Stone said, “My hope is that this will at least lighten the burden of paying for college. With my little brother and sister coming up right behind me, the scholarships will be a great help to my parents.”

While the scholarships offered through the program can provide financial help, simply becoming a Semifinalist or Finalist can get you a full ride at several institutions, from North Carolina Central University to The University of Mississippi and Mississippi State University.

My hope is that this will at least lighten the burden of paying for college

— Ella Stone

Juniors taking the PSAT next month can look to their seniors for advice. Stone says, “Stress is your worst enemy… Don’t stress while you study, and definitely don’t stress the night before the test or the day of the test either. That will inhibit your ability to do your best.”

Michelle Li offers more advice: “Start early! Definitely familiarize yourself with the format. Take as many practice tests as you can and make sure you do them in the time limit.” Li also echoes Stone, saying, “Don’t stress out, just try your best and hope for the best!”

The students recognized by this program are looking forward to the opportunities ahead. Stone said, “I feel extremely honored to have been given this opportunity and hope to make the best of it.”