Students Organize Egg Hunt for Classmates

Elizabeth Smith, Staff Writer

Dozens of MSMS students came out last Wednesday and scrambled to find dozens of eggs to celebrate Easter. Gary Nguyen, Calisa Henry, Stephanie Dauber, Mariat Thankachan, Sabrina Soloman and River Gordon organized the event, which doubled as a wellness seminar. 200 eggs had been hidden around the dorms and the Mary Wilson House and garden.

Calisa Henry, a senior at MSMS, helped to hide the eggs and organize the event. She says she “really enjoyed stuffing and hiding the eggs.”

“It was fun to watch everyone find them so quickly. It took less than 5 minutes for all 200 of the eggs to be found,” she added.

Arin Kelly also attended the event. She recalls looking for eggs through her local church growing up and comments that “Finding eggs at MSMS really helped to make me feel at home, even when I’m away from home. My siblings were probably hunting for eggs around the same time, so it was a bonding experience for us, even being over a hundred miles away.”

Gary Nguyen was one of the main organizers of the event and recalls being surprised at how easy the hunt was to organize. Nguyen is careful, though, to give credit where credit is due to the other MSMS students that assisted him in hosting the hunt.

Nguyen says he was inspired by “nothing much more than wanting to host a school-wide Easter egg hunt.”

“I remember not us not having had one last year, and I figured why not? It’s such a fun and nostalgic event for many, and I’m glad we were able to organize one in short amount of time,” Nguyen said.

While Nguyen wishes he could have acquired more eggs to hide, he reminisced on the “proud feeling [he had] when people actually come out to support something that you helped organize, and watching everyone dash off the pavilion to secure an egg made it all worth it.”

The organizers share pride on the success of this year’s hunt and hope that it will be continued for many years to come.