Dorm Recipe: New Year’s

Vivian Van

Strawberry Parfait with a cool background.

Vivian Van, Student Life/Social Media Editor

New Year, New Diet

Dorm Recipes is back just in time for the new year! A new year cannot start without those New Year’s resolutions that involve eating healthy and exercising.

You may ask yourself “How can you eat healthy foods in the dorms?” Well, this week we are focusing on two healthy snacks that are a breeze to make: yogurt parfait and corn on the cob.

Yogurt Parfait:

The yogurt parfait is a simple, refreshing snack after an intense workout. The great thing about this recipe is that it can be completely modified to one’s preferences. If you are vegan or lactose intolerant, you can opt for coconut milk based yogurt in place of the dairy. If you prefer apples over berries, then you can substitute those into your parfait! Let’s get started!

Ingredients:

(All of the brands/types of products that I use can be substituted by what you prefer)

Yogurt (Suggestions: Yoplait, Activia Greek, Dannon, etc.)

Fruit (Suggestions: strawberries, bananas, blueberries, etc.)

Granola or Cereal (Suggestions: Honey Bunches Oats (Granola or Cereal), Nature Valley, etc.)

Step 1:

Place a cup or so of your favorite yogurt into a bowl or cup

Step 2:

Cover half of the yogurt with the granola/cereal

Step 3:

Cover the other half of the yogurt with your fruit

Step 4:

Enjoy your snack!

Corn on the Cob:

If you are craving a more savory type of snack, try microwaving corn on the cob! Most grocery stores sell small units of corn on the cob. Try going for corn that has the husk still attached. The husk serves as a natural steamer for the vegetable. This simple snack can keep you going until your next meal, and you won’t feel bad for going for another serving.

Ingredients/Equipment:

Corn (obviously) with or without a husk

Microwave

Plate

Step 1 (Corn with husk):

Place your corn on a plate and microwave for 3-5 minutes; if you prefer your corn softer, add another minute

Step 1 (Corn without husk):

Wrap your corn with a wet paper towel and then place on a plate and microwave for 4-5 minutes

Step 2 (Corn with husk):

Wait for the corn to cool down and then peel off the husk/silk from the cob

Last step for both types of corn:

Eat your simple snack! If you want to spice up your corn, try adding a touch of chili powder, salt, and lime!