The Club Where You Can Really Do Something

Kallia Cooper

You know how sometimes you just really feel the need to … y’know … do something?

Well, if you join the Do Something Club, you can do a whole lot of somethings! The Do Something Club started four or five years ago when a student found out about the National Do Something Organization and figured it sounded like something that was a great fit for MSMS.

The student, Allison, went to Mrs. Zarandona about it and she “liked the idea that community service doesn’t have to be one thing but it’s whatever is on someone’s mind for that day, and that’s the premise for the organization.”

The Do Something club is still sponsored by Mrs. Zarandona and meets once a month to do different kinds of community service projects. For instance, last year they held a meeting where everyone made anonymous inspirational notes telling others how great or important they are and handed them out to students as a “de-stresser” (because it was near finals week so everyone was super stressed.) It was a fun and creative idea, which was great because Mrs. Z feels that “The more creative the ideas of the people in charge, the more people participate.”

In fact, the Do Something Club doesn’t have an actual membership and doesn’t keep an attendance of who comes and goes because “anyone who wants to do something should have the chance to do something.” So if you want to do one activity but not another, that’s totally acceptable. As long as you bring your green card (which you can ask for from the desks if you don’t have one already), you get community service credit, making the club a win-win for everyone involved.

Each activity is usually based on whatever may be going on that month. For example, next month is National Ovarian and Prostate Cancer Awareness Month, so at the last Do Something Club meeting, they learned more about these cancers and will be putting up posters with information next month to make people more aware not only of the month, but of how to keep themselves healthy. The club is focused on helping others in any way possible, from bringing attention to important yet often overlooked issues such as ovarian and prostate cancer to just helping students with their motivation and self esteem by giving out nice and inspiring cards. The club is a great way not only to get community service, but to get connected with your community (because yes you live here and whether we’re just talking about MSMS or Columbus in general, this is now your community.) So for those of you who like doing something, and for those of you who would like to start, the Do Something Club is a great place to really help someone and to have fun while doing it.