Movie Review: “Flatliners”

Likhitha Polepalli

River Gordon judges Flatliners.

River Gordon, Staff Writer

Acting

Courtney, played by Ellen Page, was pretty decent at playing her character. However, the performance was a bit dry and dull. Granted, her character most likely was supposed to appear to be a bit boring before the flatline so that it would be more dramatic when she acted with enthusiasm after.

Jamie’s character, played by James Norton, is a pompous, rich male. The acting for this character was overall pretty spot on. Mr. Norton fully developed his character, with the exception of a scene when he is being haunted in his home.

Marlo is the typical rich woman who is a good doctor but makes mistakes. Nina Dobrev who plays Marlo is an okay actor. She is known for playing Elena Gilbert on Vampire Diaries. Her part in the movie was very small until she flatlines and comes back after nearly dying.

Sophia, played by Kiersey Clemons, is the school stressed woman who lives with her mom. Her mom checks up on her constantly, causing her to rebel and flatline.

Ray, played by Diego Luna, is the character who does not flatline during the movie. His purpose in the film was to revive the Flatliners and to add extra drama between him and Marlo.

**Warning Spoilers Ahead***

Plot

The storyline in the movie “Flatliners: follows that of the first 1990’s movie where five medical students experiment with near-death experiences to study the afterlife. It was overall a decently developed plot with about ten minutes of real action.

For the majority of the movie, the medical students are dealing with the repercussions of going into the afterlife. Courtney, Jamie, Marlo, and Sophia, decided to travel to the afterlife by flatlining, Ray did not. The four medical students that have flatlined are being haunted by people in their past. The directors used the “hauntings” to create cheap jump scares.

***Warning More Spoilers Ahead***

Courtney was supposed to play the reprise of Nelson in the 1990’s version of “Flatliners.” The older version of the film had Nelson imagine a boy from his past come after him. Courtney had the same experience except her past haunting caused her unfortunate demise. With the main character gone the film needed a new person to fill the role of Nelson, that person was Marlo.

Overall

Overall the movie “Flatliners” 2017 could have been better. Although the actors were subpar, the movie plot and graphics were below average. The only common thread between the 1990’s version of “Flatliners” and the revised 2017 version is the plot and the line, “It’s a good day to die!” a phrase quoted by Kevin Bacon. This newer version of the movie dishonors the already honorless first version of the film.