The Sounds of a New Beginning

MSMS+Blue+Notes+students+preparing+for+an+afternoon+of+practicing.+

Deven Martin/The Vision

MSMS Blue Notes students preparing for an afternoon of practicing.

Deven Martin, Art Editor

From all across the state they come to start anew, away from what many of them have ever experienced before, a completely new experience, and now they wait in anticipation for the director’s hand to drop so that their new journey can officially commence.

The MSMS Blue Notes, this year a 20-person ensemble, is a large part of MSMS culture. They have a prestigious history performing throughout the state including places such as actor Morgan Freeman’s The Ground Zero Blues Club in Clarksdale, Graceland in Memphis and the Lawrence Welk Theater. This year looks as promising as ever.

“I always look forward to showing the Blue Notes off! It is always challenging and rewarding to experience a group of musicians coming together from all over the state, with varying music backgrounds and experiences,” said Blue Notes Director Dawn Barham.  

This year the band will be traveling to locations such as Meridian’s Jimmie Rodgers Festival and performing in the Veterans Day parade as well. The group’s repertoire will feature notable gospel, spiritual, folk, blues, jazz and early rock pieces all with ties to the birthplace of America’s music: Mississippi.

The students who are a part of this prestigious band maintain a rigorous work schedule that comes with attending MSMS, and they also have to find time to practice so that their musical performances hit home. This year the band is composed of one alto and tenor saxophone, one trumpet, two violinists, three flautists, two percussionists, three clarinetists, one baritone player, one bass guitar player, two guitarists and six trombonists. A large number of these instrumentalists are juniors, meaning they have never played together before and the Blue Notes are like nothing they’ve ever experienced. Small ensembles are something rarely experienced by many of the students who come from small schools, which doubles the intensity of the program.

However, that doesn’t mean that the students do not make up for their lack of experience with their enthusiasm. “I’m not used to small ensembles, but I think the smaller ensembles here will allow me to step out of my comfort zone, and since there are fewer members, Ms. Barham is able to identify our individual problems,, said Jenny Nguyen, a junior trombonist.

The juniors are not the only ones who have to adjust. The seniors play an essential role in the band due to the new set of people each year. Experienced seniors have to be able to take charge so that the juniors have a lead to follow. Because of the turnover rate of people in the band, the seniors year-to-year have to be able to adapt since every year brings different situations.

“Last year’s seniors were very good at playing their instruments, and our class depended on them a lot to show us the ways of the MSMS band experience. But this year there are a lot fewer seniors in band, and I am very impressed with how well the juniors have been handling things,” said Emily Williamson, a senior saxophonist.

Ms. Barham said she is encouraged by the enthusiasm and promise that this year’s ensembles are exhibiting and that she has all confidence that the 2015-2016 Blue Notes will be a dynamic performing group.