Juniors adapt to MSMS life

Lyndsey Risinger, Assistant Sports Editor

Though they officially became members of the class of 2018 upon accepting their puzzle piece, new students have been adapting to life at MSMS since Move In Day.

Taking the step to live at a residential high school away from their home has required major adjustment from the majority, if not all, of the incoming junior class. Though making such a big change can be difficult, the MSMS emissaries serve as mentors for the eager new students.

Junior Haven Howell said her emissary was most helpful. “She always kept me busy which kept my mind on fun things rather than how much I missed my friends and family back home.”

Sarrah Der-Ballout, also a junior, remarked that her favorite part of orientation week was “getting to meet new people from all over the state of Mississippi.” While the tight schedule of get-to-know-me games can be fun, there are some aspects of the first week that can be tiring. When asked about their least favorite things about their time here so far, juniors’  answers ranged from “the schedule” to “life in the dorms” and overwhelmingly “the food.”

Despite the few cons of experiencing something as new and different as MSMS, members of the Class of 2018 have openly expressed their excitement for the upcoming school year. Junior Hayden Stokley said, “The classes at MSMS are a lot different than classes I’ve taken before; it’s been really fun and challenging.” To many incoming class members, the courses at MSMS have been intimidating, but underclassmen are prepared for the challenge of their junior year.

The Class of 2017 welcomes the incoming juniors into the MSMS family with open arms, and we promise, the food gets better.