The Eyes of MSMS

The Eyes of MSMS

The Eyes of MSMS

Meet the new junior class officers

Joe Yang
From left to right, Junior Class Historian Jaidyn Bryant, Treasurer Andy Chen, President Maurice Hunter, Secretary Cratin Quinnelly and Vice President Yaerim Choi pose together in Mary Wilson Garden. The Class of 2025 elected its officers on Sept. 21 in close competitions.

MSMS’s Class of 2025 met on Sept. 21 in Nissan Auditorium to vote for its junior class officers. After all the votes were counted, five students were chosen to lead the Class of 2025: President Maurice Hunter, Vice President Yaerim Choi, Secretary Cratin Quinnelly, Treasurer Andy Chen and Historian Jaidyn Bryant.

Junior Class President Maurice Hunter (right) poses with Senior Class President Julia Nguyen. (Nisa King)

President Maurice Hunter

Hunter is from Isola, but grew up in Hollandale. His interests include reading, volleyball, track and field, photography and poetry. He has won three Scholastic Art and Writing Silver Key awards, and is part of an ongoing collaboration on a project proposed to be streamed on Hulu. 

I hope to show my peers that they, too, are capable of being what they want if they put forth the effort,” Hunter said. “I also hope to connect with my peers on a deeper level because it’s never too late to make a new friend.” 

Junior Class Vice President Yaerim Choi (right) poses with Senior Class Vice President Maple Griffin. (Nisa King)

Vice President Yaerim Choi

Choi is from Starkville and has many interests. Choi plays the flute, rollerblades, takes part in the Chamber Ensemble and tutors at a Korean language school. 

My mission is to provide the different and unique closure of our high school years,” Choi said. “I really want to connect with others in the mindset of growth.”

Junior Secretary Cratin Quinnelly (left) poses with Senior Secretary Victoria West. (Nisa King)

Secretary Cratin Quinnelly

From Farmington, Quinnelly mixes artistic and academic passions.  He is involved in color guard, reads romance books and participates in Future Business Leaders of America.

Quinnelly said he aspires to create a unified and supportive MSMS community. 

My main goal for this year is to bring our community even closer together as our [junior] class seems to be very separated between friend groups,” Quinnelly said. “I feel that if we can bring everyone together — not just separated by specific friend groups — we can create an even healthier learning environment for everyone.”

Junior Class Treasurer Andy Chen (right) points at Senior Class Treasurer Asher Rials. (Nisa King)

Treasurer Andy Chen

Chen is from Olive Branch. He loves to play cards and teach. Chen is considering studying biology, biochemistry, math or computer science. His main goal this year is to manage the class funds well and be a supportive team member. He recommends the book “Why We Sleep” and enjoys the movie “Interstellar.” 

Junior Historian Jaidyn Bryant (right) poses with Senior Historian Muno Singh. (Nisa King)

Historian Jaidyn Bryant

Bryant is from Cleveland. She loves to play soccer and has an interest in filmmaking. She was inspired to run for historian by the desire to connect with classmates and chronicle their shared journey at MSMS. Bryant is a fan of the intricate narrative of the film “Black Swan.” She is also known to drop impressive freestyle raps. 

Bryant invites the Class of 2025 to share memes and reels, marking the beginning of an interactive documentation journey. As historian, she tries to capture and celebrate each memory the Class of 2025 will have together.