SGA senators announced for 2022-2023 school year

Lexi Holdiness

MSMS”s Student Government Association senators discuss topics relevant to the student body [Sept. 13] in Hooper Auditorium. SGA meets at 6 p.m. every Tuesday.

Iris Xue, Staff Writer

Through floor-wide elections in Goen and Frazer halls, MSMS students chose 28 student representatives for Student Government Association on Sept. 5 and 6. 

SGA’s goal is to amplify student voices and concerns to MSMS administration by passing bills and resolutions at weekly meetings. Each year, students elect two juniors and two seniors to represent their respective classes on each floor of the dorms. Each candidate delivered short speeches to potential voters before the election was held. Students utilized online voting after floor meetings concluded. 

Though some candidates prepared for the election by alerting their classmates about the upcoming vote, others depended on their speeches to win the crowd on election night. 

“I told my friends that I was running, but I didn’t really make an announcement to my floor,” Maryann Dang, a junior senator-elect from Goen Hall, said. “Most people didn’t know that I was running until I made my speech.”

Another junior senator-elect, Angel Viveros, said, “No, I didn’t campaign because I didn’t want it to be a popularity contest.”

Besides juniors being elected to Senate for the first time, seniors’ seats were up for re-election. Most returning senior senators said they wanted to continue advocating for policies SGA did not pass last year and incorporate new policy ideas into the handbook.

The location of individual candidates in their dorm hall seemed to play a factor in winning a senate seat. Some senator-elects, including Ava Noe, automatically won from the lack of competition. 

“No one ran against me, which made my campaign very easy,” Noe said. “I didn’t have to put too much effort into it.” 

On the other hand, Viveros said there was more competition on his floor, but he tried to make his speech more genuine for his classmates. 

Regardless of their floor location, each senator has ideas for bills and resolutions. Most candidates mentioned policy ideas in their election night speeches. The most prevalent concerns included the level violations, mental health and the dress code. 

Beyond these common concerns, Dang said she hopes to implement 24-hour printing in computer labs and create food cabinets. Discussing the food cabinets in the dorm, she said it would be “kind of like the Plus Care closet, but more for food specifically. If people couldn’t make it to lunch or dinner … and they don’t have anything in their dorm and still wanted to eat something, the food cabinet could help.”

Viveros said he hopes to add recycling bins to each dorm floor. 

“There’s a general lack of recycling, and even when there are recycling bins, they’re in inconvenient spaces,” Viveros said. “Adding them to [more floors on Frazer] would be an improvement to the community.” 

Though Senate’s specific improvements to the MSMS community this year are yet to be decided, all senators are hopeful for a great year. 

Viveros said, “[All senators] have a chance to make the student body’s lives as beneficial as possible, and I’m glad to be a part of that.”

For the organization as a whole, SGA President Christina Zhang said she is hopeful for everything SGA will accomplish this year. 

“I’m excited for SGA this year because I know that everyone who ran is passionate about school policy reform and making our school a better place,” Zhang said. “Returning senators from last year will be a great example for new senators, and I know the new senators will do a great job as well. I’m thrilled to see what we can do this year.”

MSMS SGA senators for the 2022-2023 academic year include:

Second Floor, Frazer Hall

Seniors: Vishnu Gadepalli and Jeremy Padilla 

Juniors: Angel Viveros and Ashton Taylor 

Third Floor, Frazer Hall 

Seniors: Richard Zheng and Eddie Lai 

Juniors: Noah Lee and John Walker 

Fourth Floor, Frazer Hall 

Seniors: Jayden Cochran and Jeremy Dawe 

Juniors: Ean Choi and Marqueveon Quinn 

Second Floor, Goen Hall 

Seniors: Hilldana Tibebu and Chloe Dobbins 

Juniors: Maple Griffin and Maryann Dang 

Third Floor, Goen Hall 

Seniors: Sephora Poteau and Jazmine Henry 

Juniors: Lucianna Marquez and Ella Jones 

Fourth Floor, Goen Hall 

Seniors: Nora Courtney and Minesha Coleman 

Juniors: Ava Grace Noe and Kinsley Hendricks

Fifth Floor, Goen Hall 

Seniors: Mandy Sun and Harsika Dillibabu 

Juniors: Jacqueline Smith and Sydney Beane