Digging into the Diversity of Religions: Catholic Club

Courtesy of Laurel Lancaster

Catholic Club members created this poster for St. Thomas Aquinas, the patron saint of students and the club.

Maliah Wilkinson, Staff Writer

The Mississippi School for Mathematics and Science, as many would say, is a gateway for diversity in not just for races but also religions. “Catholic Club is a faith-based club made up of both Catholic and non-Catholic students, and it is an opportunity for students to explore the Catholic faith,” said Club President Laurel Lancaster.

Other Catholic Club officers include Sutton Klein, vice-president, Liz Lanford, communications officer and Savannah Poe, secretary.

Klein stated, “Catholic Club is a great way to join other like-minded people (being Catholic or even Christian is not a requirement) to better the community through knowledge and service.”

If you’re Catholic, want to learn more about Catholicism, or just want to spend a few minutes a week for a devotional, anyone is welcome!- Laurel Lancaster

Catholic Club meets on Monday nights at 6:30 pm in foreign language instructor Margaret Mary Henry’s room. The club members “spend the half hour before study hours for devotions, prayer, and discussion of upcoming projects,” according to Lancaster. The Catholic Club has participated in many community service activities. Lancaster stated, “Last semester we collected canned goods for a disabled member of the community; this semester we plan on organizing a rosary circle, participating in Lent and Easter events, as well as a larger project.”

Klein also said, “As the future president of Catholic Club, I am going to make an effort to increase the membership of the club. I would like to see some projects make headway in the community. If possible, I’d love to set up some book or food drives to help the less fortunate in the area, though I understand that that can be difficult when much of the student body (myself included) lives hours away from campus.”

This semester Catholic Club plans to work “on a collaboration between Catholic Club, Campus Crusades and Interfaith to organize a multi-religion Q & A session where students can learn more about the variety of faiths at MSMS.” Klein said, “As vice president, I would ideally like to see the Catholic Club be more involved in the MSMS and Columbus communities. It seems that there are a lot of great ideas presented at club meetings that never fully make it to fruition due to lack of participation or, as is often the case with MSMS, lack of time to prepare a project.”