Andy Zhao Student Spotlight

Christian Donoho, News Editor

Junior Zhao poses with his trombone
Christian Donoho/ The Vision
Junior Andy Zhao poses with his trombone

Andy Zhao, one of the many juniors at The Mississippi School for Mathematics and Science, is sometimes assumed to be just another person living on 3rd floor, North at Frazer hall. However, there is a lot more to Zhao than one would originally assume, according to his peers.

Zhao left his home in Horn Lake close to the Memphis metropolitan area, to come to MSMS to pursue his interest in math and science. Zhao, however, is also a “jack of all trades,” according to some due to his various interests, activities and hobbies.

Zhao was part of his high school marching band and plays the trombone. Zhao has not had much time lately to practice and with an MSMS junior’s rigorous schedule; he also does not have time for band.

At his home school in Horn Lake, Zhao was also an active part of his archery team. He spent a lot of time working with his team, using light 15-pound bows. Zhao loves chess and jokingly said, “It’s my favorite sport.”

With trombone, chess, and archery to occupy his time now, Zhao has a future that may seem saturated with activities. Zhao has a general idea toward his future career and ambitions, Zhao jokingly said that he would be a “professional student.” He is unsure about his college ambitions and what he wants his long-term career to be. “I plan on going to college where I can afford it right now,” Zhao said. “But I think I’m interested in biology, specifically biochem.”