MSMS Students Give Back with Christmas Cheer

Courtesy of Maggie Copeland

MSMS Students volunteer for Salvation Army bell ringing, from left to right are Samuel Patterson III, Claudia Vial, Jalen Perry, Maggie Atkinson, Baili Zhong, LaToya Bledsoe, Griffin Emerson, Richard Blackburn, Summar Mcgee and Ryan Hopson

Christian Donoho, News Editor

With the holiday season approaching quickly, students are once again caught up in the mayhem that precedes the winter break. However, a group of MSMS students has found time out of their busy schedules to embody the meaning behind the holiday season and give selflessly back to the community.

Students Claudia Vial, Maggie Atkinson, Jalen Perry, Summar McGee, Richard Blackburn, Samuel  Patterson III, Griffin Emerson, Ryan Hopson and Baili Zhong volunteered to brave the cooling weather and ring bells for the Salvation Army on Friday Dec. 4 at Leigh Mall.

MSMS Junior Ryan Hopson said that going out to support the cause was important to him. “I really wanted to go out and help the community. This gave me a good opportunity to do that and represent my school at the same time.”

Salvation Army asks for volunteers to fill its positions for iconic bell ringers throughout the nation. The charitable donations collected by the MSMS students will go toward helping Salvation Army’s many charitable endeavors throughout the year.

Senior Richard Blackburn reiterated Hopson’s sentiment saying, “It felt like the right thing to do. I think it’s really important for us to give back.”

The money collected by the students will be used to change lives in our community. Volunteering at the Salvation Army is another way that MSMS is working to extend its efforts to give back and make a difference for people in Columbus.