American Idols

courtesy of google images

Taylor Swift singing in her “Shake it Off” music video.

Michelle Li, Sports Editor

Hannah Montana? The Jonas Brothers? Justin Bieber? So much has changed for these young pop stars, but it must be admitted that these names bring back memories (good or bad) of Disney Channel and middle school and have, no doubt, played an integral part of childhood. Two MSMS students share their thoughts on their own childhood idols.

Senior Priya Sanipara talked passionately about boy band One Direction. “One of my friends made a comment about a debut single by this new band. So, I looked up the song ‘What Makes You Beautiful’ by One Direction. And I got hooked. I loved listening to the song and I watched the music video over and over and over again. Like, I listened to it every single day after school. Then their first album came out and I listened to that every single day. When I found out they were going on their first North American tour, I got so excited and made my family drive all the way Atlanta to see them!”

Sometimes the idol infatuation weakens over the years. “I really loved them in their early days, up until their third album because they were so real; they were just five normal guys having the time of their life. But things started changing and I think the fame really got to them. Then Zayn left the band and it all kind of just fell apart for me. But I still listen to their songs from time to time because it brings back great memories.” continued Sanipara.

Mary Madeline LaMastus expresses her admiration for pop superstar Taylor Swift. “I fell in love with Taylor Swift’s music when I was 11 years old after stealing her first album from my mom’s CD cabinet. ‘Place in This World’ was my pre-teen anthem. Ever since then, I’ve listened to her in every stage of my life, through silly junior high relationships and broken friendships. She has music for everything: romance, friendship, disappointment, death, happiness, family, even 9/11 — you name it. Just like any other human being, she has matured over the years, and her music reflects that journey. But there’s one thing that stays the same: her honesty. That’s the one thing I love most about her.”

Listeners often identify with their favorite idols through song lyrics. LaMastus said, “She’s so honest in all her lyrics, and I can relate so well. She tells stories that so many others have experienced. We create art to cope with life, and she does it so well and with such passion. I guess that’s why I’ve been a ‘Swiftie’ for the last seven years. I love her passionate authenticity.”

The impact pop stars have on their listeners is undeniable. Pop culture has greatly shaped the lives of this generation, and in this case, for the better.