Blu Diamondz and Blu Knights Step into competition season

Lyndsey Risinger, Assistant Sports Editor

The Blu Diamondz and Blu Knights step teams of The Mississippi School for Math and Science competed in the 2016 Fright Fest step and dance competition on Oct. 15.

Both teams have prepared tirelessly for this competition since the beginning of the year. “To prepare for the step show we had practice every Tuesday and Thursday, said Blu Knights President Noah Mckone.

These practices proved to be intense, given that a significant portion of each team is comprised of students that have no experience with step dance. Mckone stated Since losing our seniors last year the team is completely different but all the guys have worked hard to become one great team this year.”

Throughout each practice, the teams have honed their stepping skills, and both Presidents Mckone and Wilson, along with the accompanying senior members, exemplified leadership by choreographing the show and training the junior members.

This year, the Blu Diamondz went for an “evolution of Hip Hop” theme, showcasing dance breaks to songs from different eras of the music genre. The Blu Knights took their show in a different direction, by showing the openness and hospitality of the club and its participants through welcoming new members.

Both the Blu Diamondz and Blu Knights hard work and dedication paid off, as the girls won Best Overall and the boys won 1st place at the Fright Fest Competition.

As for the rest of the year, Blu Diamondz President Tia Wilson said, I mainly want to do more community service projects as a club because I want people to know that is more than just a step team.

Each team will be preparing new material for upcoming shows throughout the rest of the year, and both teams hope to improve on stepping techniques as a future goal.

Accompanying this article is a recording of the Blu Diamondz Fright Fest performance, a recording of the Blu Knights performance will be added soon, please excuse the technical difficulties, thank you!

Blu Diamondz Performance